I Am Not Making This Up

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2EY, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

There is? The freedom to own and control the use of personal property was a primary consideration when Franklin's generation discussed the idea of "liberty."

WD4IGX, KK6NOH and N2EY like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Some neighborhoods, maybe. Not "almost every", in my experience.

Where is the local government, and the enforcement of nuisance ordinances? In every place I've lived, having unregistered vehicles visible on a residential property would get them towed away. Same for blocking the sidewalk.

Because of safety, noise, smells and other concerns.

Point is, setting those limits is the job of local governments, with zoning and nuisance ordinances.

N2UHC, N2SR and KC5SAS like this.
  3. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

So you gave up the freedom of being able to do what you want with your own property... for the security of maybe not losing a little value on your land if someone decides to cut down a tree.

You made a bad trade.

KD8EDC, K4KYV, N2EY and 4 others like this.
  4. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed, but private entities, such as developers, can do it also in the form of contract conditions (CC&Rs). People have the option to not live in areas with CC&Rs if they so choose.

5. KK5JY

But at least it "helped the economy." ;)

6. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

How DARE those people complain about and want to change the new HOA regulation! They are people of low morals and bad character. They knew what they were getting into when they bought in a HOA.

/sarc

N2EY likes this.
  7. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

nope, not at all. MY specific desire was a rural feel in a suburban area with urban proximity. I got that.

I've not yet encountered a loss of freedom - I installed the pool I want (it's awesome), I've installed the beautiful patio i want, I've installed a bball hoop for my son, I've got an HF vertical that has gotten me 180 DXCC entities and the awards listed in my signature, and a simple 2m vertical. . . and my home has appreciated in value. So no, i've got exactly what I want.

8. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

It is not a stretch of imagination to think of an HOA where everyone has to carry HOA ID 24/7 to prove they have the right to be there. "Your papers, please?"

Or why some of us will spend serious money to buy an older home, then more serious money to fix it up and maintain it. Story of my life....

The ironic thing is that so many HOAs have rules requiring that residents keep their garage doors CLOSED unless they are actually being used. Imagine: open the garage door to get the mower out, close the garage door, mow the lawn, open the garage door, put the mower away, close the garage door. If the mower needs gas while mowing....open the door, get the gas can, close the garage door......

N2SR and WD4IGX like this.
  9. KK5JY

Dein ausweiss, bitte? Exactly. And that's nowhere near the level of awful behavior that can be justified under the kind of thinking being allegedly practiced in the OP's article link.

Yeah, I was wondering about that as I read the article. It would be hilarious if one of the residents actually dusted off the CC&R they got at closing, only to find that there is such a rule that predates the one in the article. "So, Mr./Ms. HOA Gestapo, which is it??" ;)

Next thing you know, the HOA will have to outlaw remodeling, because people stuck in those houses will start converting their garages into fully-enclosed "game rooms." It's not difficult to make an outer wall that looks like a garage door, to comply with "aesthetic" requirements.

10. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

If such places exist. As the prevalence of HOAs and CC&Rs increases, places without them become a smaller and smaller percentage of properties.

More important, such things should not be done by "private entities". They are the province of government, not some "developer" who will take his/her profit and be long gone.

There has been a cultural propaganda campaign happening in the USA for decades now, brainwashing Americans into thinking that "without an HOA/CC&Rs, neighborhoods turn into slums and property values crumble". It's NOT TRUE - but more and more brainwashed people believe it. They cannot imagine that people will take care of their properties.

Remember: CC&Rs were invented as a way to legally keep "those people" out of "nice neighborhoods".

K4KYV, N2UHC, N2SR and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.