ad: Schulman-1

I Am Not Making This Up

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2EY, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

What surprises me is that the HOA is apparently demanding the authority to search the inside of people's homes, ostensibly for the purposes of detecting behavior that is a federal enforcement matter.

If you think through where that thought process will eventually and logically lead, it isn't pleasant.

I'm starting to understand why some people will commute one hour or two hours into the countryside every day, to reach a nondescript piece of unimpressive land, just to live in a mobile or manufactured home.
    WD4IGX, WZ7U and WD8T like this.
  2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

One wonders... when (not if) someone’s garage is burglarized, or house is broken into during the day via an open garage, will the HOA be liable for the loss and any related damages?

Interesting also to note that, according to that article, “most” of the residents of that community first learned of this when notices were taped to their garage doors. With no prior notice or warning, thus no opportunity to move their garage-stored belongings to other areas.

There are many types of HOA’s and many types of HOA governing boards or bodies. Suffice to say that THIS is an HOA that’d I’d want nothing to do with.
    WZ7U likes this.
  3. KK5JY

If the attorneys who drafted the CC&R were worth their salt, they included language in that CC&R holding the HOA harmless for any loss or damage that may occur in proximity to their policy decisions. Since moving into the subdivision is an implicit acceptance of the CC&R, that would mean that the homeowners would have accepted any such terms as a condition of living in the neighborhood.
    K3XR likes this.
  4. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Those who surrender freedom for security deserve neither.
    N8VIL, K7EEX, K3ALE and 7 others like this.
  5. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I have. Almost every neighborhood has what I call a "neighbor from hell". I take a daily walk in the morning when I arrive at the office and there's one house on my route that qualifies. The front yard is filled with junk, including a broken down Ditch Witch trench digger, a few mattresses, empty oil cans, discarded tools, and assorted other junk. There's no lawn, only weeds. The driveway is filled with derelict vehicles, two of which have flat tires, and there's usually a fourth car parked across the sidewalk, blocking it. The place looks like it hasn't been painted since it was built. I feel sorry for the neighbors.

Although I strongly feel that people should be allowed to do pretty much what they want to with their property, there sometimes has to be a limit, as others share the neighborhood. That's why people can have pets like dogs and cats, but are generally not allowed to raise pigs on small city lots.
  6. KK5JY

They often times also obtain neither by doing so.
    WD4IGX likes this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I have. The vast majority of Americans take care of their properties very well without Gladys Kravitz citing them for every tiny thing.

I'll take non-HOA over HOA any day.

Go to Google Earth and look up my QTH. Take a street view tour of the neighborhood. See if you can tell which homes are HOA-restricted and which aren't.
    N2SR, WD4IGX, KC3BZJ and 2 others like this.
  8. KK5JY

Judging by your contest signals and scores, I assumed you lived in a much bigger lot. The lot here is essentially the same dimensions, and I consider this lot to be on the small side.

I guess that means I'm not bringing my "A" game to contest weekends, huh? ;)
  9. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

context matters. Big difference between the freedom referred to by Franklin and the 'freedom' we're discussing here.

HOAs exist to protect an investment and maintain common property. Frankly, home buyers pay a lot of money not only for their house but for a certain look and feel. I want low density housing, green space, and a gate. My neighborhood and HOA dictate a minimum of 1 acre lots, prevents removal of greenspace (trees), and secures the entrance. It prevents developers from buying the 1.25acre lots and subdividing them into 3 or 4 homesites each. Yes, it prevents me from erecting an ugly tower and for that im thankful b/c whether it's mine or my neighbor's, i dont want to look at it...
    WA5VGO likes this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Was thinking along those lines there's no telling what these homeowners signed when they purchased their homes that's not to say those restrictions would be upheld in a court proceeding but until and if one of those owners decides to spend the money to mount a challenge those regulations remain in place.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.