ad: Amateur-1

I am bored

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC9FVR, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KB9YCO

KB9YCO Ham Member QRZ Page

Talk on your radio, Ride a bike, read a book, fly a kite, take a hike, help a neighbor or a relative or a friend or anyone, study for your upgrade, build a radio or an amplifier or an antenna, talk a walk, write a letter, see a movie, learn something new, play a sport, play a game, play some cards, just don't play dead and sit there. Life is full of possibilities, opportunities, and new experiences; life is also too short to waste doing nothing. Good luck. 73

2. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

Turn on the CB. It may be bizzare but there are actually some interesting people there........at least it won't be boring.

3. N0OV

N0OV Guest

T-BS Meter

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////

4. KC5SAS

KC5SAS Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ai4ep @ June 09 2004,08:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[​IMG] your statement has the words : &quot; I am bored &quot;.  

Your profile reads TECHNICIAN

Study to become a general class operator.  HF is a wonderful place to find / make new friends and be able to talk 24 / 7 on the different bands with a modest system.

Sure you have to take new tests and learn more.  But that is GOOD.  You have already shown that you ARE capable to learn, since you know as much as you do.  Strive to learn more.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    To heck with HF. You have a Technician ticket.  Have you explored all of the facinating things you can do above 50MHz?  Have you experimented with Amateur Television? As one tag line I saw reads- Hams should be seen as well as heard. You can operate ATV portable either simplex or through a repeater.  
    Have you played with packet?  This old mode is being 'rediscovered' by those performing EMCOMM services as a more secure and reliable way of handeling messages compared to voice.
    What about APRS/UI-View? Real time tracking coupled with messaging is a useful tool to have on any emergency and is fun to play with in between callouts.
    What bands are you operating and which are you missing?  Do you stay on 2 meters?  Maybe 440 or 900Mhz would offer some different opportunities for you. When was the last time you got on IRLP with your HT and talked to a station thousands of miles away? Have you downloaded and installed EchoLink and connected to nodes somewhere besides your home State?
    While many see this as a hobby it is also a SERVICE.  Have you contacted your local REACT Team about joining to provide public SERVICE with the modes you can legally operate in? Have you taken the REACT EMCOMM study course or the ARRL EMCOMM courses yet? At last check there are still seats available for the ARRL Level 1 course. Or you can do like I did and order the books from ARRL and self study and then take the test through local examiners when you are ready.  Have you considered many of the FEMA self-study courses available?  I have completed 25 of these courses and found them very informative. Have you contacted the local chapter of the Red Cross and arrainged for training through them?  Several in my REACT Team have completed classes such as Shelter Management, Disaster Assesment, Mass Care, Family Services and more. Is your CPR and First Aid certification up to date? This training will make your Amateur Radio SERVICES even more valuable when called to help. Do you have SKYWARN training?  Earlier this year everyone in my REACT Team attended the SKYWARN Basics spotter class given at the Baton Rouge OEP. Field Day is right around the corner.  Are you working with a local group to make Field Day as successful as it could be?  This is a day when we should be out there putting our best foot forward and showing the public at large the many interesting things our Amateur license allows us to do. Make up banners or poster boards which explain what each mode is and what it offers. These can be displayed in front of each operating position so that visitors, along with a Field Day PIO, can be given a short discription of what they are seeing. Think- 'This is ATV and this is what it does' or 'This is HF voice and this is what it is for' or 'This is an APRS station and this is what it can be used for' or 'This station is used to make contacts with the ISS or satellites'. This lets the public know that Amateur Radio is not CB and visitors from served agencies can see what we can offer them should they need us for an event or emergency.
    There's so much to do I can't imagine getting bored unless you just don't want to open your eyes and see everything you already have available to you.
    Good luck,

5. N0OV

N0OV Guest

Here's something to do.

Get a code key and try learning CW. Real pain at first but it gets more fun, especially when you start recognizing some of the sounds.

Best thing is it can open the door to HF -- pass the test (and another General theory exam) and you will have a whole new world to talk to.

Besides, how many people you know can make sense out of dots and dashes?

(Glen -- not trying to start a code/nocode debate, just trying to provides some helpful words of encouragement [​IMG] )

6. WF7I

WF7I Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC9FVR @ June 08 2004,17:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does anyone want to talk? ???[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No.

7. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

KC9FVR,
    If you are bored in Amateur Radio,you must have an abnormally short attention span,I would consult professional care it might be very serious!! [​IMG]

8. KG4YUV

KG4YUV Ham Member QRZ Page

Winston, ignore the mean ones in here, they can be total jerks... (It's times like these that I wish Steve, W3SY, were still here... [​IMG] )

Anyway, just join in on random topics here and post your opinions. Be careful though, some of the guys here can be as stubborn as -- nevermind... I won't go into that... [​IMG]

But anyway, you HAVE proven that you can pass the tests in amateur radio. Study soon to upgrade to General, just so we can laugh together at all these fat OF's in here that have 8 handie-talkies on their belts and whine and moan that &quot;CW is too hard!&quot;, then after they slowly lift themselves out of their cushioned chairs in their computer rooms they press the button on their singing/dancing fish just so they can hear that stupid &quot;Take me to the River&quot; song, they chuckle at that for a minute or so, then they go say their callsign three times on 8 different local repeaters (hence the 8 talkies), then say &quot;monitoring&quot; every 7 minutes until they hear somebody make an autopatch for a pizza delivery, then they try to play &quot;Repeater Police/Lawyer&quot; or play &quot;Law and Order: 144 FM&quot; by having a fit about 'business communications...'

Anyway... [​IMG] [​IMG] (lol, you can tell how much I hate some of these guys)

My point is..... If we young hams can pass it, then I don't wanna hear that crap from these old guys....

I for one would be honored to have you as a fellow young ham General Class operator. (I'm 15) But until then, talk it up here in the forum with the rest of us!!!
    73! [​IMG]

9. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC9FVR @ June 08 2004,17:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does anyone want to talk? [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Can't you tell I'm talking now?

10. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

[​IMG]4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K6UEY @ June 09 2004,19[​IMG]4)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">KC9FVR,
    If you are bored in Amateur Radio,you must have an abnormally short attention span,I would consult professional care it might be very serious!! [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I like a good sense of humor......(the first part of your response).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.