ad: vanity

I am amazed with WSPR

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KV4PD, Sep 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KV4PD

KV4PD Ham Member QRZ Page

Using an OCFD, I am constantly amazed at how this little five watt (Ultimate 3S) propagates around the planet.
    This is what keeps my ham radio experience alive and well.
    KV4PD
    upload_2021-9-9_4-50-8.png

W7TCT, KE0STT, N1VAU and 1 other person like this.
  2. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Give it a try for a while on bands that "aren't open" you might be surprised.

3. KV4PD

Well, I built this for 20 mtr band, without all the other filters. I'm using a Palomar outboard tuner to get the best match I can.
    Thanks for your input.

N1VAU likes this.
  4. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, it's a dedicated 20 meter WSPR rig. I was thinking it was connected to a regular HF rig.

I just looked at your profile and then searched QRP LABS U3S
    http://shop.qrp-labs.com/U3S

That's a pretty cool rig you built!

How difficult was it to build a get on the air?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  5. KV4PD

Well, it wasn't an afternoon project, more like a W/E thing. As you might guess, the toroid winding was the most tedious part of it. That, and there are several variations that have to be considered i.e if you're using the 5 watt amp vs just the transistor output stage. Takes a little time to sort through the manual. All in all, it was a very worthwhile project.
    Chad

KE0STT, N1VAU and (deleted member) like this.
  6. N5HXR

N5HXR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've done a lot of WSPR, and I have a similar constant amazement. I usually run 5W, but for a bit i was running a 600mW homebrew transmitter. I was really amazed at the results. 5W is QRO in the WSPR world!

7. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have run a 100mw WSPR transmitter into an indoor random wire antenna looped around the sides my radio room (very low power into a horrible antenna). My reception plot looked very similar to yours after a few hours.

@N5HXR is correct. 5w is very high power for WSPR. As a general rule, I would advise trying the lowest power setting of which your rig is capable. It really is incredible.

KV4PD likes this.