I am 31 yo and I want to learn Morse Code

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by CT2FZI, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N7AIG

N7AIG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Thanks!

I just upgraded to Extra today, after being Advanced for nearly 30 years. The code always stopped me in the past, and with being too busy at work to devote time to code, I just never bothered. The technical parts of the test were no problem for me, after nearly 30 years in high-tech.

I just went to the G4FON site and tried out the program. I can see already that learning at the comfortable clip of 25 WPM will be much less painful that I had anticipated.

I want to become a decent CW op and have fun like the rest of you guys, but up to now I have been a keyboard cripple, relying entirely on readers like CWSkimmer to "cheat" during QSO's. Of course I also have to work on my fist so that I don't make the other guy suffer too much.

It always seemed to me during QSO's that there is a significant difference in the prose exchanged when using a hand key (paddle, bug, whatever) versus a computer keyboard, where we type out every vowell and word instead of using common idioms like "c", "es", "btu" and so forth.

I really appreciate the tips I'm picking up scouring the QRZ web site. Already QRZ has paid off handsomely in allowing me to prep for today's test in only 4 days time with their sample tests.

73 de N7AIG/AE :)

2. NS8N

NS8N Ham Member QRZ Page

+1 This website is all you need. Take 30 minutes out of your day and go there. You will be fairly proficient in about a month (maybe even sooner. no joke). Great site.

3. MW0UZO

MW0UZO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm learning too using http://lcwo.net

I started learning the alphabet in groups of five or six A-F etc. Then sending on a practice oscillator A-Z. Then 'THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPED OVER THE LAZY DOG.' as was suggested earlier. I never noticed there was meant to be an S on the end to complete the alphabet!

I found it challenging to get through all the Koch lessons without getting bored, so at the moment am training RX using just the alphabet at a fast rate but with big gaps, reducing the gap slowly as rx improves. Once I get able to copy the alphabet at a good rate, I'm going to move onto the numbers and punctuation.

It is difficult. Most difficult and frustrating thing I have tried for a long time. Also, the trick is to totally relax and decode the last received letter and write it down while listening to the next. There is no time to decode, write, then prepare yourself for the next. This skill is just about starting to develop.

I have promised myself not to connect the computer to the radio for any CW even if I cannot RX a QSO. If I am not practicing or otherwise busy, I have the radio on listening to CW at any rate.

4. GOATMAN330

GOATMAN330 QRZ Member

This worked for me...gotta start somewhere!

Hey guys,

I've always been told practice makes perfect...repetition, repetition, repetition! attached is a quick table I started with when learning code in the Navy same chart as the one I found on learnmoresecode.com, I don't use it now but it really helped me learn all the letters and numbers, that and having to use code daily for a year reinforced the muscle memory pretty good too! Anyway hope this little "cheat" helps beginners...It really gave me hope, just remember you will have to wing yourself off unless you plan to stay at 5-10 WPM.

[​IMG]:D 73's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.