ad: Alphaant-1

I ALREADY HATE DMR!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Mar 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

DMR is the new trendy mode for comms on Ham Radio that is fast becoming the standard. It is threatening to bury the old fashioned Analog FM rigs.

So when my Icom IC-2710 bit the dust, I decided to buy a brand new DMR dual band rig to replace it.

Getting it to work at all was a bear. The radio comes from the factory unprogrammed and unusable at all until you program in a CODE PLUG. This is similar to what CHIRP does to regular radios.
    There are thousands of options though, and one BIT wrong and everything is HOSED!!

So the first day was spent calling up the sellers tech support and scraping the Web to find data on how to make it work.

I had gotten a Code Plug for the TYT MD-9600 from a friend who had one too, and highly reccomended it.

The first thing you notice is that you cannot PROGRAM any thing from the keyboard. No frequency entries, no NUTTIN!! IF you want to do anything at all, you have to do it in the Code Plug! So when you turn on the brand new radio, it is BRICKED!

The problem with someone elses code plug is they have chosen funny names for each channel which don't give you a CLUE what channel or frequency you are on. Right now, I am on "TAC310p" WTF does that mean??? No frequency data, no clue of where you even are or what band!
    Another thing his code plug did was turn off the backlight so I couldn't even see what was on the display. I reflashed the radio and tried to delete his code plug but once you put one in, it doesn't want to go away! Once again, the radio is making all the choices and if you disagree, you are SOL!!!

And the next thing I found this morning was DMR take priority over anything else!!

I was talking to SUE on the WA6BGS club regular FM repeater when someone on the DMR channel started a QSO. It immediately blanked out what me and Sue were saying and wouldn't even let me change channels until the talkers clammed up for a second. Fiinally I was able to get it off the Local talk group and to this obscure channel and continue my QSO with Sue. So the radio is really designed for NON HAMS who aren't supposed to make choices. The RADIO makes all the choices.

So I am ready to SLEDGEHAMMER this rig and get an old fashioned Analog DUAL BAND FM rig!
    Our San Diego ARES is so thrilled with DMR they are making it the standard and are obsoleting old fashioned FM! If you aren't on DMR, you are left behind with the SPARK GAP rigs!

I just want a rig you can tune around with like old fashioned HAM RIGS!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    K4AGO, KC4FA, WW4DX and 9 others like this.
  2. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I would dumpster the damned thing....

W4KYR, KC8YLT, WD4IGX and 2 others like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I'd suggest you ought to go D-Star, which does the same things as DMR, but is much simpler to set up and run.

But I'd also say you need to learn the basics about both. DMR and D-Star have talk-groups and reflectors. These are servers tied to repeaters. Connect your repeater to one, and you can talk to people on any repeater anywhere in the world connected to that reflector (talk group). Having a DMR radio doesn't mean you can't use it like an analog radio. You can also chat with people on the local repeater. Or connect to remote repeaters.

Anyway, that's what your tac310 is, a talk-group...it doesn't have a frequency because it doesn't have one. The frequency you are on is the frequency of the repeater you are using to connect to that talk-group.

http://www.dstarinfo.com/home.aspx will explain D-Star.

K4AGO, WU8Y and K9ASE like this.
  4. AC2DW

AC2DW Ham Member QRZ Page

If you buy a new HF SSB transceiver, and don't know how to work it, is SSB the problem and do you then hate SSB?

W4JHU, N4NJJ, W0AQ and 3 others like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Time to drag out the Two'er....

WB5YUZ, KD0XL, KF5RRF and 10 others like this.
  6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I know how to work SSB, and when you buy a new rig and turn it on, atleast you can tune around with it

K4AGO, W1AST, WD4IGX and 2 others like this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem isn't the mode, it's the rig design.

W1AST and NE1U like this.
  8. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hang in there Pat. Anyone as smart as you are will not really have any problems once you have it figured out.

Coming from my corner of the world, I am constantly amazed at the stuff you do, apparently just for funzies. Like your current project, the Two meter "Killerwatt"!

Keep on keeping on, we all enjoy reading your adventures in radio!

73 Gary

K9ASE likes this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a similar experience about 2 years ago picked up a UHF DMR HT and after beating my head against the wall trying to get it programmed just put it on the shelf, where it stays. There is absolutely no reason it should be that difficult and frustrating to program.

K4AGO, KM4RFI and WA6MHZ like this.
  10. AC2DW

AC2DW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's my point!

K4AGO likes this.