I’m floundering and need an Elmer.

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KE0STP, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KE0STP

KE0STP Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve been in the hobby now for more than 1 year but unfortunately am still really floundering. I bought an Icom IC-7100 for my shack. My current frustration is repeater programming offsets and frequencies, memories, and scanning. I thought I was buying a simple radio, was I wrong? Should I get something different to learn?

Anyway, can anyone point me to a good tutorial?

2. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

See if you can get some in-person "hands on" help from the VE group that did your license exam

Perhaps it was this club:
    Minnesota Amateur Radio Technical Society
    http://www.mn-arts.org/

They're within 25 miles from your ZIP code.

;)

KE0TNL and K0UO like this.
  3. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

there are utube videos but might not show detail you need.
    find a local helper.
    focus on just one thing.
    memory work can seem baffling,then suddenly you get it!
    the books could be better, make notes about what you do so when it works, you will know why!
    i use pencils in my books,clean up later.
    try to get one specific question. by narrowing it down you might get the answer...
    try here again.
    you got started with a nice radio,dont give up. ALL radios are tricky at first.

K0UO likes this.
  4. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You might be trying to do too much at once. Pick 1 local FM repeater and try putting it in.
    It looks like Elk River has an open repeater (no tone required) on 146.97 transmit (your receive frequency) and 146.37 receive (your transmit.)
    Here's a page of repeaters in Minnesota that I used to find it: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Amateur_Radio_Repeaters_in_Minnesota
    Follow the manual or YouTube videos and give just one repeater a try.
    Here's a good basic overview: http://www.hamuniverse.com/repeater.html
    Don't get discouraged as some repeaters may no longer be active and there just might not be anyone on.
    I don't know about D-Star but the IC-7100 is capable. Take your time and READ.

KA0HCP likes this.
  5. KD9NXQ

KD9NXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just joined Lakeshore Repeater Association a local group (to me). Once I get to know folks I can glean some intel. Right now I use programming software and a repeater book for all the frequencies and offsets. Using a Icom 2200H with the D-Star Option. Far from having it cyphered, but getting there.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    K0UO and W1TRY like this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

9. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, the 7100 is a great choice. Is there a specific issue with programming or scanning that is giving you trouble?

10. KE0TNL

KE0TNL Ham Member QRZ Page

YouTube my fellow Northstar. YouTube and the instruction manual is how I learned to program all my radios by hand.