ad: Preppcomm-1

HyGain / MFJ "HyTower" Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K9STH, Sep 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

The HyTower antenna first was introduced in the early 1960s, and is a robust full sized vertical for 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters.  Plus, there is a loading coil available for 160 meters.  The basic antenna is 24 feet of Rohn-Spaulding tower with tubular extensions that make it into a full sized quarter-wave antenna for 80 and 40 meters.  It is base loaded on 160 meters.  The actual physical length on 80 meters is shorter than the normal length by a little over 10 feet.  This is due to the design which uses a single wire down the center of the tower sections from the large diameter tubing that comprises the 80 meter section.

20, 15, and 10 meters are accomplished by the addition of tuning stubs which help tune the antenna.  For the most part, the HyTower is a unity gain vertical.  However, on 15 meters, the antenna does show a slight amount of gain.

Within the past year, or so, MFJ (who now manufacture the HyGain antenna line) has reintroduced the HyTower.  They definitely are not cheap!  But, as for multi-band verticals they cannot be beat.

Now, these antennas were designed before the WARC bands (30, 17, and 12 meters).  But, believe it or not, all three of these bands can be accomplished on the HyTower without need for an antenna tuner.  At least my particular HyTower, which has been up since 1972, works fine on all of these bands.  The 80 meter section functions as a 3/4 wavelength vertical, and, even though the resonant point should be around 10.5 MHz, the linear loading function seems to put the resonant point at the 10.1 MHz frequency.  My HyTower shows virtually no reflected power (basically a 1:1 SWR) over the entire 30 meter band.  On 17 and 12 meters, the SWR is under 2:1.  Not bad for an antenna that was not designed for these bands!

On the WARC bands, the angle of radiation is different from the non-WARC bands due to the fact that they are longer than 1/4 wave.  But, the antenna does exhibit some gain on the WARC bands as well.

Now, working Europe from Texas on the 30 meter band is much harder than from the east coast.  But, if the European station can be heard, it can usually be worked using the HyTower.  For example, earlier this evening, I worked Bulgaria, Germany, France, Sweden, and South Africa all in a period of less than 30 minutes.  Each of these stations were "one called" (that is, I called them one time - didn't have to wait for them to work other stations) through "pile ups" from the mid-west and east coast stations.  I am running right at 100 watts output from a Collins S-Line (32S-3 transmitter and 75S3A receiver).  Not too "shabby"!

Anyway, the HyTower is expensive, and is not for everyone.  But, with a simple radial system it does a very good job of radiating.  It does self-support (no guys are needed).

Glen, K9STH

2. AK7T

AK7T Ham Member QRZ Page

Several yrs ago I acquired most of the parts of a model HT-18 high-tower, but never got around to trying to scrounge the missing parts and get it installed. (The missing parts are the tuning "stubs" I believe, plus the insulators the antenna stands on.) Now that MFJ has entered the picture, does anyone know whether parts for the old models such as mine would still be available?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.