Hy-Gain VB-214FM tuning for 144.200

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K5TRI, Aug 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The beta match on the Hy-Gain 2M antenna is fixed length, there is little if any ability to change it. Thus, their recommendaation for changing the DE length. But it IS designed for FM, and that IS at the high end of 2 M, not the low end.

2. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Everything can be changed ;). The beta match is something that can be swapped out with your own part. It's just metal. It bends to your will (pun totally intended).

3. WA9SVD

Have you SEEN the Beta match on the Hy-Gain antenna? Changes are easier said than done.

4. K5TRI

Did you even read all the posts or are just tail ending the thread to just make some comments?

Funny how after usually the first page the S/N ratio takes a dive.

Don't you think given that I a) own the antenna, b) adjusted it to work, c) make many contacts with it I would not only have seen the Beta match?

[​IMG]

5. WA9SVD

That was unnecessary. YES, I HAVE the antenna(s.) The Beta match is fixed, and of course, if you want to build another, that is(was) your option. But it is NOT "adjustable" as on the Hy-Gain 6 Meter beam, which I also own, and am quite familiar with the Beta match on THAT beam. Woild you like to enlighten us on how YOU adjusted the Beta match on your 2 M beam? I think inquiring minds want to know.

6. K5TRI

I am sorry that I didn't make it apparently clear enough and assumed logical thinking in post #22. Whatever wire you cut for your beta match at whatever length you desire is indeed
    fixed to that length you cut it for. So in other words if you cut something to a specific length from a previous different length adjusted it.

7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I've seen it mentioned more than once in this thread, just when did 144.200 SSB become "weak signal"?

8. K5TRI

Careful. Before you know it someone will accuse you of suggesting FM operation on that frequency :)

9. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just when? Oh the last umpteen years(the 25 I have been on 2m weak signal for example)... because it IS weak signal when you are trying to drag someones voice out of the background noise as a tropo opening fades... or when you are trying to work anyone during marginal band conditions out to 300+ miles... just because rag chewing across town is not weak signal doesn't mean the rest of us don't try to stretch the band as far as it will go! Like when I worked the southern tip of Texas at 1225 miles, and I heard CO2OJ in Cuba weakly during that same tropo event but couldn't get past the wall of 4 land stations calling him to make a contact... or the ultimate weak signal when I bounce signals off the moon!

10. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

is this some sort of weak brag that you have strong SSB signals on 144.2 or what

SSB, CW and non-FM data modes on 6m and up have LONG been referred to as "weak signal"; decades. How long you been QRV, OM?