Hy-Gain T2X Rotor failure.

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KB7MVF, Jun 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB7MVF

KB7MVF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just about a year ago I purchased a new in box T2X from R&L electronics. When it came time to bench test the rotor it did not work. The brake was disengaging, the motor was running but no rotation in either direction. One could grab the top head and turn it in either direction while in operation. I called R&L they suggested I send it directly to Ameritron / Hy-Gain for warranty. OK, and R&L eventually sent a credit for return shipping.
    After they signed off on the delivery it took three weeks to get it unpacked and then three more weeks to get it on the bench. I was out over 60 days on what was a new in box T2X. Got it mounted down the mid tower area with roughly about 11 sq feet of wind loading. Two thrust bearings in the top section of the tower, one on top and one in the bottom about 8 feet apart. The rotor had little or no down thrust loading. I did NOT pin the mast tube with the mast clamp. After we get it up;Wow look at all the slop in that break, 6 degrees of rotation back and fourth when the wind was blowing it was not good. I tried to always try to aim the elements to a favor of the longest elements of the OB-240 2 element yagi on 40. Now 10 months later.
    I pulled the T2X out of my tower yesterday. Pinion gear stripped leaving others to self destruct in the cluster.
    Well in a few days it's field day, finding a replacement to plug and play looks dismal at best. No joy at any place like HRO, DXE, Cats Rotor Doctor etc, and parts are getting harder to acquire. Wow this thing is less than a year old and more pain than joy, it appears I chose poorly.
    What Rotors does one go with out spending a fortune?

Attached Files: