Hy-Gain Hy-Tower Base Insulator Failure

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by VE4LS, Oct 13, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

That is sickening to see... I KNOW that pit of the stomach feeling of coming home to see an antenna over on the ground!!!

I've long thought about putting up a Hy-tower if I ever came across one at the right price, but have always wondered about the issue of the insulators. And I relate to you on the issue of guys and mowing, but I came up with a solution... fence posts, dacron rope and 'tensioners'.

antenna mast tripod.JPG beam mast tripod.JPG

The first pic is what I have now... the second is what I had before. The beam was at 25', the coax was getting old as was the rotor, and I was not keen on putting that beam back up a second time (it was a bear the first time). So with the bands declining and less dependence on the high bands I decided I'd rather try something different anyway and put up a lighter cobweb 5 feet higher. My point is, I have had three antennas blown over here (one guy wire failure, one mast failure, one underestimation of wind load) as I get a lot of wind over the hill behind my house (corn/soybean field bracketed by stands of trees) and rope guys kept the beam up for about 4-5 years. The posts are 2-3/8" corner posts and the ropes are attached with proper hardware at the top and 'clotheline tensioners' attenced to a fence post band at the bottom...

If interested, I can give you more details what and where, but I can mow around them fairly easily... occasionally I go whack around then with a trimmer. Good luck & 73! Kevin N4UFO

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  2. VE4LS

VE4LS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, here is the latest in a series of actions to get the Hy-Tower up so it will stay up ....

Using their replacement insulators encased in West Systems 105 epoxy and microfibers mixed in.

This is the first step, additional base mount strength is coming along soon, and guys to be added.

If this beast comes down one more time, I`m more than done with it. There are excellent alternatives in large vertical antennae.

73 de Lee
    VE4LS

Attached Files:

KG4OOZ likes this.
  3. VE4LS

Next step was to enlarge and chamfer all holes so there is no obvious stress riser points when things are bolted back together and torqued down. The center hole was bored out to ensure a nice smooth fit over the pipes this time around.

The stainless steel hose clamp was an afterthought and I'll likely add a couple of more to pretty much encase the epoxy in a aaa00001.jpg aaa00001.jpg aaa00002.jpg aaa00010.jpg compression ring..

4. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

By next fall I hope to have a 68' DX Engineering free standing vertical up. Only need it for 160, 80, 60, and 40m and a base mounted autotuner should be able to handle it!

5. VE4LS

I almost pulled the trigger on one of those DX Engineering 68 footers to replace the Hy-Tower but decided to once again rebuild this one.

In my looking around, I was also highly impressed by the Zerofive verticals as being well made.

NL7W likes this.
  6. KD9NTD

KD9NTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was interested in buying one of these towers until I stumbled across this thread doing research I wasn’t aware that MFJ owns them. If this thing fell on one of my family members due to their shoddy piss poor non existent Quality Control, I would fire every one of them because I would be the new company owner

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Wire brush those three (3) mounting posts (tubes) and then treat with Cold Galvanizing paint.
    https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...s/stops-rust/cold-galvanizing-compound-spray/

50CA76E2-10E4-429A-83D0-0301ED06F43C.png

8. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

@VE7LS Is it still standing?
    73, Chuck
    N0NC

K9UR likes this.
  9. VE4LS

Hello Folks:

Thanks for the interest.

I can report good results and a very much modified installation which now includes using a 12 volt winch to raise and lower the unit for maintenance, the addition of a 160 meter Inverted L as per Glen's Hy-Tower, and an MFJ 934BRT mounted at the base over 45 new radials and copper strapping collector ring tied to 4 8 foot ground rods.

Pictures in a day or two.

73 de Lee VE4LS

10. VE4LS

W9GB likes this.