Hy-Gain EXP-14

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by Guest, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Since no replys were received from my original post regarding this antenna before I purchased one, I will provide my own review here.    

The antenna arrived sooner than expected direct from Hy-Gain, even tho it was ordered through HRO on the web. It arrived in two boxes.  An inventory showed no parts missing and all pieces in good condition.  Taking my time, it took about a day and a half to sort the element pieces and then assemble the antenna.  The manual was clear and easy to follow and I incountered no problems during assembly.  I have only two issues with the assembly instructions and both are very minor.  One,  a few of the element pieces were not the length specified. This varied by as much as 3/8's".  I did however compensate for these discrepancies with the next element piece to insure the proper dimension was achieved as per the manual. The second was Hy-Gain included a small supply of dope to use on the joints to help eliminate corrosion etc further down the road.  I had no idea at the time what this was but a quick call to Hy-Gain got my information bank updated.   [​IMG]

The antenna is installed at 36' with the tower 12' from the edge of the a two story house so it is not exactly an idea installation, but how many really are.   After getting it up in the air SWR checks were performed as per the manual and the SWR was better than the figures given being under 2:1 across all three bands.  The figures were so low in fact I did this check twice with two different SWR meters with almost identical results. One a Diamond SX-20 and the other a Heathkit HM-102. Not quite lab grade meters but more than good enough for what I was doing.

The antenna has been on the air now for almost two weeks and I must say I am more than pleased with it's performance.  The antenna displays noticable side nulls and front to back on receive and very favorable signal reports from worked stations.  No this is not an exact science but!  The only change I did was to swap out the smaller BA-86 balun for the heavier BA-4000 in case I ever add power to my signal.

Advertised as a 4 element beam it only has 3 active elements on each band with the 4th being a seperate 10 meter reflector. I have noticed that most manufactures use this same advertising gimic so I certainly do not take away any points for this.

I give this antenna very high marks and would recomend it to anyone looking for an antenna with less than 18' turning radius. Price wise it is right on par with other antennas of comparable size and performance, including Cushcraft, and Mosley, especially when you consider I comes with an $80.00 balun and NO SHIPPING when purchased from HRO. [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

73 and hope to see you on thre bands
    Ted    WA0HLJ   [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.