HW-16 Restoration Question

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W0SC, Sep 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0SC

W0SC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Heathkit HW-16 I am restoring. Question I have is I have low volume on 15 meters. Was wondering if it might be a coupling capacitor issue but figured I would have low output on all bands. Did the receiver alignment with no improvement.

Jim

2. W1NB

W1NB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jim,

I would check the heterodyne oscillator output. You may find it’s low on 15 meters compared to the other bands. If so, if you’ve not changed out the 6EA8, try that. It could also be That the crystal has lower activity.

how is the receiver sensitivity on 15?

W4NNF likes this.
  3. W0SC

W0SC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you. I will try that. I just got the HW-16 and VFO (HG-10B). I do not have any crystals and was wondering if alignment of the receiver and the transmitter can be accomplished with the VFO and not the crystals.

4. W5RKL

W5RKL Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim,

Do you have the complete HW-16 assembly manual? If not then you can download it here:

https://w5rkl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/hw-16.pdf

How are you determining the receiver's low gain on 15 meters? Do you have an RF
    signal generator that covers 15 meters?

Have you measured voltages and compare them with the voltages on the HW-16 manuals' schematic?

The receiver can be aligned with or without the HG-10 VFO since the HG-10 VFO has no control over the receiver.

Have you replaced the power supply filter capacitors with the hayseedhamfest.com HW-16 capacitor kit?
    If not I recommend ordering the capacitor kit AND the resistor option. The resistor option is $7.50 extra.
    The HW-16 capacitor kit doesn't have the 2 cardboard covered capacitors. The capacitor kit has two 68ufd 450VDC
    radial lead capacitors that mount below the chassis as replacements for the 2 original 50ufd 350VDC cardboard covered caps.

Mike W5RKL
    https://www.w5rkl.com

N2EY likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember the HW-16 is not a transceiver in the sense of sharing common circuits. Its a separate receiver and transmitter in the same box.

W4NNF likes this.
  6. K1APJ

K1APJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Be aware that the HW-16 has no AVC. A weaker signal will sound weaker. A quiet band will sound quiet!

N2EY likes this.
  7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

yes, unless 15M is open you won't hear a Peep! so maybe you really don't have a problem. If putting a sig gen into it works, that proves there isn't a problem

8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The HW-16 is known for having relatively low gain and output on 15. Many were converted to 20.

On 80 and 40, you can hear a lot with a random antenna. But on 15, you need an antenna with a decent match to get the most out of the HW-16. Note that for transmitting you need a matched antrnna; the HW-16 has no loading control.

It's a good idea to have a crystal or two to align the transmitter. The good news is that the frequency isn't too critical. An old color burst crystal (3579.545 kHz) can do the job.

W4NNF, AD5HR and K3XR like this.
  9. W0SC

W0SC Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W0SC

W0SC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you. Have two HG-10B VFO's to work with the HW-16 in which one will not work on 15 meters for some reason. Only puts out about 2 watts. Other VFO puts out about 30 watts. The HG-10B that only puts out 3 watts works OK on 80 and 40.