HW-101 and FT8

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W4HWD, Nov 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How do I get the computer to control the rig? Does Signalink offer a cable for the HW-101?

Asking for a friend.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  2. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

You probably meant to post this in the Working Different Modes forum. In WSJT-X, set the rig to "none" and fabricate the cable for the audio connection.

3. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably not stable enough for digital modes......
    Ymmv

K3XR likes this.
  4. W4HWD

I did. My mistake.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm strongly thinking this a tongue-in-cheek snarky post from the get-go...

But moved to proper forum regardless

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

KD8DEY likes this.
  6. W4HWD

It kinda was meant to be...a little snarky.

But honestly there is a guy I work with who has been out of ham radio for a long time and he has an HW-101 and he wants to try FT8. I told him it won't work, he didn't believe me so I posted anyway.

So...a little snarky, a little serious.

7. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

A crystal oscillator tied in instead of the vfo with custom cut xtals, and a homebrew keyer......

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm with Bubba on this. The HW-101 certainly could be used for FT8 but stability could be an issue.

But FT8 is really nothing more than SSB used to send varying tones. Absolutely no reason it would not work if the frequency stability is there.

Dave
    W7UUU

NG1H likes this.
  9. W4HWD

That rig has been sitting in a shed, no climate control. It's clean and dry, but may be drifty. Maybe I should have him try it on CW with me first? That way I could hear drift?

Forget about test equipment, he has none; neither do I.

10. W7UUU

Good plan so long as the power supply is in good shape, as well as the radio itself. If all is well, just make sure the radio is well warmed up.

No reason it shouldn't work if stability is decent. FAR more important is the clocking on the computer used for FT8.

Easy sound card interface for the audio with appropriate cabling made up and such...

Dave
    W7UUU

W4HWD likes this.