ad: ProAudio-1

Huston We Have A Problem! - SuitSat is Dead

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC0RSW, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

SUITSAT SUCCESS- THE REFORM OF RADIO

Although Suitsat has been a spectacular failure as a mission, it has had an major success in showcasing the REFORM OF RADIO for the average person, making space-age vision ACCESSIBLE TO ALL, with

** NO LICENSE REQUIRED**

Previously the historically cutting edge amateur radio service, which licenses 'ham radio' operators, required a proven degree of technological expertise to get a ham radio 'ticket', and participate in the communications that allows 'hams' to communicate all over the world (much like the internet or cell phones, but without privacy, and with usually marginal links)

But now, with Suitsat, this listen-only mission opens the door wide for a new kind of 'amateur' radio, which being unlicensed, need not be considered 'amateur radio'.

As such, the huge group of technical savvy people, who have made FRS and Wifi vanguards of the new 'amateur wireless' have the opportunity to further hone their skills in the wireless art by participating in Suitsat--without ham radio!

More than anything, Suitsat will be viewed as a spectacular success in the reform of radio--where a techno-savvy  UNLICENSED group can demonstrate itself as a pool of those skilled in the wireless art.

Even the HAMS don't need ham radio for Suitsat-- their listen-only results aren't transmitted 'over the air', but reported and archived on the unlicensed INTERNET. Some HAMS have EMBRACED the new paradigms with Suitsat.

AJ3U has a great web page on Suitsat, that includes non-ham data from Suitsat. He also discusses how (even non-licensed) amateurs can set up their own Suitsat earth stations:

http://www.aj3u.com/satellites.php

All this -- thanks to ham radio!

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm...taking a global view, that's what I SEE in the mirror.

Tell me I'm wrong and how I am wrong.

We've become so infatuated with Suitsat, IMO, that we have lost track -- there is nothing that ham radio brought to the table on the earth end. We've used off- the-shelf no-license needed receivers, and reported our results on the unlicensed internet. Furthermore, the actual Suitsat could have just as easily been afforded an experimental license rather than a Part 97 one.

Suitsat was a mission failure...

... and it failed to LEVERAGE THE VALUE that ham radio brings.

The hype and propaganda sent a 'ham ' message, but the foundations of that are not factual.

3. PE1RDW

PE1RDW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know of any experimental service for space use other then amateur satalite service. things like frs etc are illigal in space.

BTW suitsat was rusian licenced not us part 97 licenced

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

FRS has nothing to do with this. Please read more carefully.

The US FCC is well within it's ability to issue experimental licenses, that fall outside of the ARS or within it. These licenses could be issues at 2.4 GHz, for example.

I am still waiting to see if there is ANY unique value that a ARS Part 97 license brought to this activity. It seems that at no time were licensed transmissions either used nor preferred in the earth based activity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.