Hustler antenna on boat

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by VA6TPM, Jan 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VA6TPM

VA6TPM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Hustler antenna that I want to install on my boat. The only place for it really is beside the wheelhouse. The house is fiberglass and the antenna is just be inches away. It will extend about 5’ above.
    What are the thoughts on this?
    Thanks for your help

2. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have done this on my Bayliner. I am assuming your boat has a fiberglass hull with a stern-drive.

Will not work unless you mount the HF antenna near the transom, RF ground it to the outdrive/engine block, and then run coax to the radio. A mobile whip like the Hustler needs a counter poise. Works best if the outdrive is in the "down" position.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. VA6TPM

Thanks for your help WA7ARK. This is on a twin inboard 56’ boat with a fiberglass house. The antenna will be amidships. I will use a ground plate for a counterpoise.

4. VA6TPM

I should also mention that the Hustler antenna is 13’. Most of it except for 5’ will be shielded by the house on one side.

5. WA7ARK

Fiberglass, wood or metal hull?
    Where is the ground plate? In the water?
    How big (square feet) is the counterpoise?

6. VA6TPM

Fiberglass hull with 2’ in the saltwater counterpoise. I am worried that shielding the antenna with so much house will adversely affect it.

7. WA7ARK

A 2ft x 2ft metal plate in sea water directly below the antenna should work as a RF counterpoise. Having the bottom 5ft of the HF whip parallel to the wheel house will not matter much, other than your body may get more RF than wise. It will likely also screw up your engine instruments while you are transmitting...

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

A fiberglass structure will not affect RF.
    That ground counterpoise does not sound very good to me. Contrary to popular belief, Salt water is not a terribly good RF ground. But I am sure many have done that and have fair results....
    Try it, and if and when the antenna doesn't work well, fasten some counterpoise wire against the inside of the hull under the floor.
    I have an 18 Ft fiberglass ski boat in fresh water and see no way to run a HF radio in that boat! The AM on the BC radio barely works.
    The larger ships that use HF comms have lots of steel under their antennas.
    Have Fun and Enjoy Radio.

9. NW9M

NW9M Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you use chain for anchoring? With a boat that big I suspect you might. I'd be tempted to run a wire or braid to where your chain is secured and connect it to your last chain link there. Also, might be helpful to ask on this forum too:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/

10. VA6TPM

Thanks everyone for your input. I’ll see how things work out.