Hustler 6BTV 6-Band HF Vertical Antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AF7XI, Oct 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF7XI

AF7XI Ham Member QRZ Page

A ham in a neighboring town is selling a Huster 6BTV 6-band HF antenna. I see it mentioned occasionally in a cursory search of the forums, but I'd be grateful to learn of any additional personal experiences. I know it's not going to be as effective as a basic dipole, but I'm curious what kind of general performance I could get in my HOA-restricted QTH.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

With a good set of radials, it's a good antenna and a "best bang for the buck" deal.

It natively covers 10-15-20-30-40-80 meters but only a small slice of 80m (or 75m), so the whip above the top resonator must be adjusted for the part of the band you're interested in. On the other bands, it covers them just fine...even 40 meters.

I've found it works "best" when elevated, like above the roof of a house, with radials on the roof. It will work quite well with just two radials per band up there. If ground mounted, you'd want more radials although their lengths aren't critical. 20-30-40 radials all about 20' long work well, for a ground mounted installation. The radials can lay on the ground or be buried slightly beneath it, and even "burying" them isn't much work, since it's just wire. Cutting a shallow groove in the soil using a mechanical edger and just pressing the wire into the resulting slit works fine.

K9ASE and AF7XI like this.
  3. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a good antenna. Works well for DX, due to a lower takeoff angle. If ground mounted, run as many radials as you can.

Ed

AF7XI likes this.
  4. NK7Z

NK7Z XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,
    Love the antenna, but it needs radials, like all monopoles... See:
    https://www.nk7z.net/category/info/construction/6btv/
    for a list of my 6BTV notes. One on tuning, and one on the 17 Meter add on... I just added the 12 Meter add on, and so far it is working well. I will be doing a review on it as well.

AF7XI likes this.
  5. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

I have had one for several years at two different QTHs and for me elevated with radials it is a keeper. It is the antenna I use on 30/40/80 meters. IMO it holds its own on 30 & 40, not quite as good on 80 but it does OK. I do work mainly DX. For regional work within 500 - 700 or so miles a dipole may do better.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    KB3FEI and AF7XI like this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Are your add-ons the ones DXE sells that clamp to the original antenna mast or are they something else?

7. N1GF

N1GF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I keep one installed as a backup on all the aforementioned bands. With a GOOD radial field and taking time to get it dialed in, it works pretty good for it's size. Will it out perform larger single band wire verticals or high dipoles? No. Will it get the job done if you are space constricted or just don't want to maintain a big antenna farm? Yes.

Oh, and I highly recommend the DXE tilt mount for it as it makes tuning and maintenance much easier.

AF7XI likes this.
  8. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

AF7XI likes this.
  9. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree with all the above. Mine needed a small drain hole to keep the bottom mast section dry. Maybe they come with that now.
    Mike N3PM

AF7XI likes this.
  10. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Its a good antenna !
    I have worked much DX with
    one yrs ago. I even had the 75/80
    meter coil - it also worked well.
    I did not have any radials .
    Best bands were 17/20/30/40 for
    me on shore of Lake Huron . I was
    using a TS 520 -90 watts cw.