Hustler 5btv

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WW4LS, Aug 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WW4LS

WW4LS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A Hustler 5btv was given to me and installed at my place some years ago. It was ground mounted with 4 radial wires. Two on each side of the antenna were put on the ubolt that clamps the antenna in place. When it was first put up it worked great on 20/40 but never really worked on 10/15. Recently I put on the coax add on kit to make replacing the coax easier and replaced the coax with new RG 8-u coax. I have also replaced any rusty nuts and the radials which had worn out over time. Outside of taking it back down I have reached as high as I could to remove the mold which builds up over time. Basically the bottom half is mold free which greatly improved the swr's. I decided to follow the instructions in the manual and add radials for 10/15m. The manual says the wire should be 8'4" for 10m. I decided to check my swr's on each band after adding the radials for the other bands. After adding the 10m radials the swr's were high on 20m. I took them back off and the swr's were back down on 20m. I decided not to try putting the 15m radials on and leave it the way it is for now. I figure at least it works on 20/40. Anyone know what the problem might be? h5.JPG

2. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Ground mounted will detune radials. Getting as may as possible on the ground, then retuning will give the best results.

Ed

3. WW4LS

Ok thank you

4. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

On this site, search " btv radiald " & you should find many threads explaining it. Also, when tuning, DXEngineering sells a tilt over bracket that is very easy to use.

Ed

WA6KNW likes this.
  5. NK7Z

NK7Z XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,
    Check out:

https://www.nk7z.net/notes-on-tuning-a-6btv/

It is a sort of running commentary on my setup of a 6BTV, from digging the hole to final tuneup. It also has a number of graphs showing what happens as you add radials. I would recommend you add at least 16 radials, and 32 as a minimum for the antenna. Then do the tuning, starting at the 10 meter band, and walking lower in frequency, up the antenna. See the blog for more info on this... What did surprise me was that the doubling of radials made enough difference, I could actually tell a difference in signal levels up to the 32 radial levels.

6. WW4LS

Hi Ed the antenna is on a homemade tilt over plate but it has a carter key which is stuck in there and I am unable to remove it to tilt it over. I'm trying to find someone to help me get it out. Hi Dave thanks for the link I'll read it for sure.:)

7. KG7QJB

KG7QJB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the same antenna. I only have 2 radials per band. I wonder if your spacing is off per set up instructions. I would check that first. It is puzzling. My swr is excellent except on 80 meters where it moves quickly and to be expected.

WW4LS likes this.
  8. WW4LS

9. HAMHOCK75

HAMHOCK75 QRZ Member

You might want to check the manual again. The specific length radials are for roof mount not ground mount.

Also, in general, adding more ground radials lowers the resonant frequency of the antenna. Four ground radials is not very many.

KG7QJB and WB5YUZ like this.
  10. KI8DJ

KI8DJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ground mounting detunes radials. You don't need to cut them to 1/4 wavelength. Just use a lot of them about as long as the antenna itself.

WA0CBW and NG9F like this.