Hustler 5btv

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KM4YTW, Aug 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KM4YTW

KM4YTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone here with experience with the hustler 5btv antenna ? Its a cheap antenna but i have read some good reviews? Im sure i would lay ground radials for it. Can you DX with it.
    Thanks

KG7QJB likes this.
  2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure, I've run one for many years. It's a good antenna, is reliable and works well as long as you deploy a good set of radials. It can definitely work DX and is one of your better low frequency band options unless you have access to very tall antenna supports that would let you hang dipoles way up in the air.

It can work well ground mounted with ground radials but it really shines if you can get it up high and run a set of elevated radials.

About the only downside of the BTV series antennas is that they have a very limited SWR bandwidth on 80m as in 60 to 75 kHz or so of 2:1 SWR bandwidth. That may not be an issue for you if you tend to work small segments of the 80m band but it's not ideal if you want to work the entire 75m/80m band. If you run low loss coax and your coax run isn't too long you can stretch the 80m performance by using a shack tuner but it's still tough to run the antenna from 3.5 to 4.0 MHz without excessive losses.

WB5YUZ, NH7RO and KG7QJB like this.
  3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, of course.
    However — REMEMBER that DX on High Frequency (HF) band’s, 3-30 MHz,
    depends on Space Weather and Earth’s Atmosphere.
    Gray-Line Propagation is most exciting in late summer / early autumn.
    https://dx.qsl.net/propagation/greyline.html

I have used and rebuilt two (2) Hustler BTV series antennas.
    Local radio club uses a 4-BTV for Field Day, that I rebuilt 15 years ago (SK donation to club),
    and assembled a portable tripod with eight (8) 32 feet radials.

Usage of Anti-sieze and Anti-galling REQUIRED for this antenna.
    IF you do not, the main feedpoint (threaded screw) at bottom seizes and corrodes/oxidizes (water collects at bottom of antenna tube ... and Hustler/Newtronics used a steel plug).
    ==
    Regarding the Hustler Vertical Antennas ... FIRST
    READ the Assembly and Installation Manual for Hustler BTV vertical antennas.
    written by DX Engineering staff.

Hustler BTV HF Vertical Antenna Series
    New Assembly and High Performance Installation Instructions, revision 4b
    https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/dxe-btv-inst-ins_oh.pdf

I would recommend the Hustler 4-BTV model (40-10 meters)
    I also suggest non-conductive guys at the 6-bladed capacity hat.
    https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/hsr-4btv
    WHY, the 4-BTV ?

Vertical Antennas for 80/75 meters are NARROW in bandwidth (50 kHz typical).
    The Hustler 5-BTV is the 4-BTV with a 75 or 80 meter Hustler mobile whip antenna at the top.

IF you desire to traverse the full 500 kHz of the 80 meter band ...
    choose a Fat Dipole trimmed for the Center of 80 meter band.
    http://www.seed-solutions.com/gregordy/Amateur Radio/Experimentation/IVee80.htm#Fat, Fan, and Cage Dipoles

Page 106 of the ARRL Antenna Compendium, Volume 2, contains an article entitled: Fat Dipoles.
    http://ttars.net/wp-content/uploads...enna-Classics-Vol-2-C.-Hutchinson-ARRL-WW.pdf
    This article, by Robert C. Wilson (no callsign given, but assumed to be AL7KK) has dimensions for a two-wire fat dipole which will cover the 500 KHz of 80 meters with a 2.0 SWR or better. According to this article, this dipole requires spacing of 3 feet.
    The article provides several equations for computing the wire lengths, spacing, and antenna height.

The Story of the Broadband Dipole
    A dipole can be broadbanded by a number of techniques
    including by matching with resonant sections of transmission feed lines.

by Dave Leeson, W6NL
    http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX_Next_Issue/Nov-Dec2018/Leeson.pdf

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    NH7RO likes this.
  4. KM4YTW

4btv makes sense i suppose, since i do have a 80m dipole about 50' above the ground. How high would i need to get it to make it shine. I have access to a lot of 1-1/2" rigid conduit .

5. WA4BCS

WA4BCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unknown--not recognized by any seller--it will tune 6 meters very well!!!

KG7QJB likes this.
  6. KG7QJB

KG7QJB Ham Member QRZ Page

It is an excellent antenna for dxing. I do have 3 nylon guys supported with bungy cords to eliminate swaying in high wind conditions. I run 2 radicals per band. You will not be dissappointed. Mine is mounted 4 inches from the ground. 80 meters is a compremise as some have stated above but on 40 and 20 ,15 and 10 they perform beautifully.

7. KM4YTW

I need a 6 meter rig one day. Good to know.
    Nice Qrz page Curt, beautiful gardens. I live in the backwoods of georgia, where the stop signs say "whoa" . I built a new house in 2002. And we left most woods for shade . So i dont have a lot of open space to work with. I hope it plays well with trees.

KG7QJB likes this.
  8. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

You did not read or understand (basic assembly / antenna theory) what you read.
    64 pages does take a few minutes to scan or longer to read.
    https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/dxe-btv-inst-ins_oh.pdf
    32AD67D7-FD0E-40BC-AA40-7D9A0BAA8A62.jpeg
    You DON’T Elevate the Hustler 4-BTV Trapped QUARTER-Wavelength Vertical antenna.
    It is GROUND Mounted — with a Radial Field providing “the other antenna element”.

BF2FABB0-1E5D-46E2-89FD-500D59410828.gif F6D46231-87A6-4A77-840F-B580D5A25E56.gif

OZ2LC likes this.
  9. KM4YTW

I havent read it yet. But i will. Im headed to huntsville hamfest saturday and hope to find a deal there on a 4btv. Thanks for the great info. The first reply said get the antenna as high as possible . That was what i was refering to

10. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

An elevated High Frequency (3-30 MHz) 1/4-wavelength vertical antenna is not practical for many radio amateurs (lack ability to safely climb sloped roofs and install properly). It is also a natural lightning rod (grounding and installation very important).
    Flat urban rooftops (apartments, condominiums) can lend themselves to this approach, and fit at least eight (8) radials of 1/4 wavelength + 12%.
    You previously described your QTH (acquired in 2002) on QRZ.com and Internet —
    so I read that information before responding (“cleared area with trees”)

Ground mount — like AM broadcast radio (550 kHz to 1700 kHz) antennas —
    easiest (and safe) for your installation.
    ==
    For your 80-meter horizontal 1/2-wavelength antenna (dipole), you desire “as high as possible”.
    A half-wavelength of height for eighty-meter band:
    40 meters (131 feet 2.8 inches) is ideal, BUT most radio amateurs struggle
    to achieve quarter-wavelength in height (on 80 meters): 65 feet 7.4 inches.