Hustler 5btv Radials

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6BFL, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6BFL

K6BFL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone. I just purchase a hustler 5btv. I want to take it up to field day but I want to put some radials on it first. I was hoping someone had some experience with this antenna and knows what the best length and amount of radials works for this antenna. Thanks and 73.

2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

this is my primary antenna. Radial length / count is dependent on how you mount it. If it is ground mounted, as mine is, the length of the radials is not as important as the quantity. If I remember the install documentation, it recommends minimum of 20' or 30' radials -- as many as you can install.

if it is NOT ground mounted, radials need to be cut to the quarter wavelength of your operating frequencies, minimum 2 radials for each band but 4 is optimum.

K4AGO, WA3GWK and ND6M like this.
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you can raise the antenna up about 6 feet in the air you can use three elevated, quarter wave radials per band. Just stretch them out from the antenna base and peg them down where the ends contact the ground. If you ground mount it, just put down 6 to 8 radials for the lowest band right on the ground. That is not ideal, and you might need a tuner on some bands, but it will work and is easy to install and take down. Almost forgot, the 40 meter radials will work for 15 meters also so that saves a little wire.:)

I'm sure there are other ways you might be able to do it also. One thing, if you are setting up at a park or school that has a baseball diamond the metal backstop or a chain link fence, make a great counterpoise for a vertical. If you can figure out a way to mount the antenna you shouldn't need any radials.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    K4AGO likes this.
  4. K6BFL

ok thanks for the reply. I have it mounted on the ground right now. I want to take it on vactions in the car so that when we stop at a campground it will be smaller than a wire. I will try that. I may try mounting it 5 or so feet high.

5. K6BFL

So if I have it mounted on the ground and I make 6 radials at 1/4 wavelength of 80m (the lowest band) then that should work? Thanks

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. I have a ground mounted 6BTV and I initially used four 33ft radials laying on the ground. Worked fine. Later on I added an additional 20 buried radials and the improvement was minimal.

7. K6BFL

ok sounds good. And just to make sure I do not need any other radials?

8. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have found for portable deployment the more radials the bigger the hassle. Especially at a campsite. Tripping or clotheslining comes to mind.

9. K6BFL

ok well thanks for the help. 73

K7WFM likes this.
  10. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

it will transmit and receive reasonably well with that setup. more is always better but being a portable setup, there is always some level of compromise... let us know how it works!