Hustler 4btv on travel trailer

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by AE4GS, Dec 28, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AE4GS

AE4GS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd just like to get some opinions on this. There is a post on the internet of an Airstream owner who mounted a Hustler 4btv onto a rear bumper mount with a "hinge" to lower it onto the roof for travel and raise it to operate.
    I have a Winnebago travel trailer which has a fiberglass body and I also have a Hustler 4btv.
    The rear bumper is a direct connection to the frame of the trailer and my question is if I fabricate a similar setup for my trailer would it work? Would the frame alone act as a counterpoise to the antenna?
    A photo of my trailer is on my QRZ page.
    Thanks in advance for any help. Gary KW4MG

2. VE7VTC

VE7VTC Ham Member QRZ Page

5btv2.jpg 5btv1.jpg I run a 5BTV on my fifth wheel. I use wingnuts on each section clamp, and marked the points to slide the sections together. The base plate is held down by the trailer stabilizer and the bottom section of the antenna is slid into the cup on the base plate.

N6ILJ and KY5U like this.
  3. AE4GS

Thanks for that info. Please let me know. Do you use any counterpoise wires? Is the base plate grounded to the frame? How is your signal?
    Thanks. Gary KW4MG

4. VE7VTC

Gary had a private conversation with me, but I will finish this thread so others will know.

I run the 5BTV without counterpoise wires and it tunes fine. It puts out a decent signal. I have
    tried using counterpoise wires but it did not seem to make a difference. The aluminum plate is flat on the ground and connected to the trailer chassis through the crank down stabilizer. My RV is fiberglass and wood upper construction, so there does not seem to be any problem with the antenna being close to the RV.

5. AE4GS

Thanks for the followup. I should have time to mount mine in a couple of weeks. I hope it works better than the dipole in my attic. hi hi

6. AE4GS

Finally got the antenna up and it works pretty good. I have a bumper mount and on the 4 bands of the Hustler 4BTV (10/15/20/40) the SWR is less than 3:1 across the entire band. Only used it one weekend and had 20 CW QSOs with good signal reports. Could have done better, but the CQ RTTY contest was going on. I was not using any radials but had it grounded to the frame of the trailer. My trailer walls are fiberglass which does not seem to interfere with the signal. For traveling I break the antenna into 3 sections which store in my full width storage area rear trailer.jpg antenna mount.jpg resized trailer.jpg .

KC9BNW, KY5U, NL7IB and 1 other person like this.
  7. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Very slick, thanks for sharing the setup pics.

8. VE7VTC

Nice job Gary. Enjoy!

W8CI likes this.
  9. AE4GS

A couple of things that I forgot. I was going to fabricate a foldover mount, which would have been great, since you wouldn't have to take the antenna apart. Just lower it. I decided on the bumper mount for fear of attaching anything to the roof and causing a leak. I did mount DX Engineering's fold over mount with the thought that it would be easy to lower the antenna to adjust it. Since the SWR is within 3:1 on all bands I don't have the need to make any adjustments, and it is actually easier to put the antenna together on a picnic table and raise it by hand.

10. W6ZKH

W6ZKH Ham Member QRZ Page

Needing a mount for my vertical to RV for up and coming trips, I had an unused 2 inch hitch mount sleeve that was on the rear of the RV. Thinking if I could find just a bare square tube sleeve, then weld up a 1-1/4" pipe vertically, it would work. Headed to Harbor Freight store and while looking for that sleeve I came across another one of their items that would work better with NO welding. The item is the Hitch Mount Vise Plate (item 66260) for $24.99. After purchase, headed to hardware store and bought a 1-1/4" Floor Plate and 18" galvanized water pipe.. Got home, mounted the floor plate, screwed in the pipe and did a quick spray can paint job....presto. It can be removed from the hitch or left in place. Looks like it ought to work just fine for what I want it for. Also, be sure to drill a "weep" hole in the center of the floor flange/square tube to drain any rainwater out.
    [​IMG] IMG_0134.JPG

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    KD4IEM and K7WFM like this.