Hustler 4 BTV

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K6CID, Jun 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K6CID

K6CID Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 4btv which I want to install at about 20 feet on a telescoping mask. I am not interested in 10 and 15 meters. My question is can I just have tuned radials for 20 and 40 meters and none for 10 and 15?
    K6CID - Colin

2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

3. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes.

4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Like AK5B says, yes.

I had a similar setup with my 4BTV (It was a 5BTV, until the lightening hit). Anyway, my antenna was at the top of a 18 foot section of 2" iron pipe. I had four radials per band (40, 20, 15, 10M) that sloped down from the feed point at a 45 degree angle. I configured the radials much like a fan dipole. Wooden separators kept the radials at a relatively constant distance apart (~8").

The radials didn't serve as guy wires. I didn't want to stress the connections at the antenna feed point. But my installation didn't need guy wires. In high winds, the iron pipe never moved more than a inch, but the 4BTV certainly did. After the lightening strike, the 4BTV operated fine for several years and survived 50 MPH winds regularly. I now have a 43' vertical and I guy it at about 20'. At the top, it moves a few inches in high winds, but not excessively.

AK5B and M0AGP like this.
  5. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

How did you find performance on your elevated BTV? I expect I will elevate mine too.

6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine is at 15' on 2"emt. Top 20" of emt electrically isolated from bottom. Used a fiber core for that. It is over a metal roof and no radials. Use a balun designs common mode just under the antenna. I was going to radial the side not over the roof but winter storms ended that plan. Going to add a few soon but honestly it plays very well on its own right now so it will be more like an experiment. I found over the years that any mount over ten feet couples poorly with the antenna so I electrically isolate mine with good results. Pretty sure that's why so many people speak against elevating them.

7. K7MEM

I'm not a big DXer, contester, or certificate hunter, so I may not judge performance that would be very meaningful. I just use it. All I can say is that, it was nice and quiet and seemed to perform well. But that may be due to my environment.

The 5BTV was installed on my ranch, where the XYL and I boarded horses. The ranch was high in the hills at a elevation of 5,300' (High Desert). I elevated the 5BTV because I had horses, and needed to keep any radials well above ground. You don't want to try and unravel a 900 pound horse from a bunch of wire. You could lose a couple of fingers doing that.

The mast was secured at a fence corner, which was made from the same iron pipe. The antenna and mast were about 100 feet from the barn (aka shack). I had a small loop of coax at the antenna feed point and where it came into the shack. But that was just because I had some extra coax. The coax was buried, between the shack and the antenna.

There were no overhead power lines anywhere nearby. Any semblance to good ground did not exist. The soil was very rocky and dry. The barn power lines came underground from the house, which was about 100 yards way. There was a ground rod at the house power box and another at the barn power box, but that's all there was.

When the lightening struck the antenna, the 80 Meter resonator exploded into a zillion pieces. It was a impressive sight. I never used it on 80 meters, so it was no big loss. The rest of the antenna continued to work fine.

8. NK7Z

NK7Z XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, as long as you tune the active radials... It might not be a bad idea to check the antenna tuning after you tune the radials as well. It is an iterative process.

9. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

Good to know the 80m resonator is a good lighting arrestor!

AK5B likes this.
  10. K7MEM

Yes, it certainly does. About a month before the strike, there was a omen that I didn't pay attention to.

About a month before the blowup, I was at my operating desk and was hearing a intermittent snapping noise. At first it didn't bother me, but then it started to get to me. When I hunted down the snapping noise, I found out it was a static discharge between the center and outer conductor of a coax connector. I could easily see the arcing. This was the end of the coax from the 5BTV. It was just laying on the floor of the shack, not connected to anything. So I connected the coax end to a dummy load and went back to my task at hand.

A few weeks later, I wanted to use that antenna with another radio, so I disconnected the dummy load and connected it to a small tuner. When I was done, I just turned everything off and went inside the house. When the resonator went up, there was a very loud explosion. The 80 meter resonator was toast. Little tiny pieces of bakalite and wire were spread over a 100 ft radius. Plus a charge traveled down the coax and bored a hole through the tuner. All of the tuning capacitor plates were welded together. The tuner was also toast. Nothing else was affected.

This may have just been a large static buildup, as opposed to a direct strike. I have seen what a direct strike does. Living in a very rural area, strikes are relatively common. But the ending is still the same.

AK5B, KF5KWO and M0AGP like this.