Hustler 4-BTV close to building

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by SP6MI, Mar 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Buddy set down wire fence grid then installed raised bed gardens around it. Came out really neat and his wife didn't throw a fit. I never had that issue because I told mine interfering with my antenna's or shack was grounds for divorce.

AK5B likes this.
  2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember, it it has to go in a small space, many small radials are better than a few long ones. Don't worry if you have an unusually shaped space to deal with; asymmetry does change the pattern, but usually less than one would think.

AK5B likes this.
  3. KH6AQ

KH6AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1 to 1.5m from a building might be too close depending on the building construction and wiring in the wall. If it is just a wooden wall it should be fine. I mounted a 5BTV 1/2 meter from a wooden house and the wiring (I suspect) detuned it to where it would just not tune. So, it was moved out 3 more meters.

4. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cross your fingers and try it in a temporary install, if you can. I have a 4BTV installed less than one meter from my garage wall, but that wall is just studs and siding, with one conduit inside it. I don't note any significant problems. I have a bigger problem because that garage, its driveway and the patio/planting beds all restrict the number of radials I can install.

With 6 random length radials, it still works, though. (But, as we all know, "works" has many definitions. . . )

5. SP6MI

SP6MI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As I think in most of european countries in Poland most of buildings (mine too) are made from concrete and bricks. Fortunately this wall has one or two wires inside. And same as WA9FZB I;ll have limited posibilities to install radials, but I'll test at first how it works without them. Unfortunately I have sloping roof covered with ceramic tile, so there is no option to mount this antenna on it, and place wire radials.

6. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, then how about mounting it on a post right at the roof's edge and running out some tuned radials from that point? Just another idea for a much better alternative to a BTV installed close to a building w/o radials (the worst scenario overall).

Jeff

7. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

I temporarily installed a 5BTV within about 30 cm of a stucco wall - wood, covered with steel chicken wire, then plaster. The wall extends up to just above the ten-meter trap. I was surprised to find it does not seem to effect the tuning too much and its performance on twenty, thirty and forty meters (where I use it most) seems not much affected compared to mounting it in the clear at the same height. I have only four radials for twenty meters.

I also tested the 5BTV against an elevated monoband 3/8 wave 20 meter vertical with four sloping radials (about 4 m high). On twenty meters, the elevated monobander was nearly an S point better than the 5BTV.

My gut feeling is that elevating your 4BTV near the building would be better than ground-mounting in the clear.

Mike
    AF7ON

AK5B likes this.
  8. SP6MI

SP6MI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Antenna orderred so now I have few days to analyze and prepare everything for assembly and installation.
    I'll try at first place it on ground without radials, then I'll add some radials (I think 2 per band at starting point)

Thanks for ideas, I'll share result of installation in this thread.

9. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

On ground radials can be any length. Ground detunes them. Just put as many as you can.

Ed

AK5B likes this.
  10. N8PKN

N8PKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Mount the vertical away from the building, feed it with Davis Buryflex or LMR-400 low loss coax, NOT RG-213 or RG-8X, too much loss. Put as many radials down as you can, a minimum of 20 or so, more is better, with diminishing returns as you go up. At the feedpoint, put an excellent choke balun, to keep the feedline isolated from the antenna. Believe me, it will make tuning a LOT easier. Oh, and forget about cutting the radials to a quarter wavelength or so, just bury them and they will work. If you just lay them on the ground you will have un even currents in the radials affecting radiation patterns. Good luck

PS: I have a the same antenna, 36 radials under it, it works well and transmits/receives better most of the time than my 80 meter loop, fed with real ladder line.

Bob, N8PKN