Hustler 4 Band Vertical Tone on 20 & 15 meters

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K0AMY, Jun 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. K0AMY

K0AMY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello, I've only had my license since last October, and still learning about it all.... does it every end? :) I recently installed a Hustler 4 band vertical. It is awesome on 40! However, while I can make contacts both SSB and CW, on 20 and 15, there is a tone at the beginning of every tx. I am using radials. Assume this be a tuning issue? Not sure how to go about diagnosing and fixing it. If anyone can point me in the right direction to start to resolve this..... thanks!
    AmyR K0AMY

Attached Files:

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you ACTUALLY adjusted the new ant for minimum SWR on each band before using it on the air > The antenna comes with instructions how long the sections should be for each band ,,Then when you put it up you have to "fine adjust" the lengths for each band .
    Did this get done ??

3. K0AMY

Yes, while still horizontal, I measured the dimensions/separation distance of the band traps and clamps according to the manual.

4. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

Amy I like the installation photo! I should have used that method with my radials - far less back-breaking than what I did… (6BTV here).
    When you say there is a tone, is that coming from your rig - like a warning tone?
    Do you have an SWR meter you can use to check what is going on? Maybe one is built into your antenna tuner?

5. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

A tone from where? Radio, tuner or power supply? Who hears it, the other station or you?
    Mike N3PM

AK5B likes this.
  6. K0AMY

Tone from the radio. Only I hear it.

7. K0AMY

The tone comes from my radio. I had a senior moment once and tried to send on 80 from the wrong antenna and got the same tone, but much worse.
    I think I need to lower the antenna and fine tune the traps. No, I don't have a meter. Hopefully with Covid now over I can find an Elmer to guide me here. Taking part in our local club's field day in two weeks. Hope to find someone there.

8. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A wild guess. Check to see if the CS.Voice button is set to swr. If so, it is probably a tuning tone for an external tuner. Maybe . . . See page 16 of the Manual.
    Second wild guess. High SWR warning.

WB5YUZ, AK5B and K0AMY like this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What’s the radio?

10. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FT-450D