HuskySat-1 and FoxTelem

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K3RLD, Feb 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
  1. WA4SCA

WA4SCA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No problems running Foxtelem with both the Foxes and HuskySat-1 using a FUNcube dongle on WIN10. It switches the center frequency as it should. It calculates that based on the satellite(s) so that the center spike is always away from the RX frequency. For instance, when HuskySat-1 is up it uses 435.825 MHz. If you are using the "Foxtelem Calculates Doppler," highly recommended, you will probably need to use a different downlink frequency for good tracking. I use 435.8034 MHz. The spacecraft frequency is very precise, the FCDP+ not so much. :)

KS1G, KA2CZU and K3RLD like this.
  2. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't managed yet to be in the shack to manually manage FoxTelem during a HS-1 pass. My FIAB (FCD Pro+ on a RPi 3B+) is configured to auto-track AO-85, 91, 92, and HS-1. Does the FIAB instance need to be manually switched to one of the PSK modes to capture the HS telemetry? Or will it auto-switch modes between DUV and PSK? I do need to install the latest FIAB software, so updates to auto-switching modes as well as frequency/band may be a feature I am missing. I may need to tweak the HS-1 downlink frequency as well.

Or are folks running a separate instance for HS-1?

3. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It supposedly will switch modes... I have definitely observed the BPSK to DUV switch, not the other way (yet).

But I keep getting weird errors from it since I downloaded and installed 1.08z. Lots of little-endian exceptions, other weird popup boxes (which I have not captured
    yet due to time) but things which are apparently screwing up the box (rpi4) and not collecting packets.

So, planning on building a clean image from 1.08z and wiping the existing installation. We'll see after that.

4. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

I installed 1.08z last night onto my current system (and probably time to delete the older versions!). Edited the start Foxtelem script (point it at the directory with the new version), clicked "OK" a few times to accept updating the data files, and let it run. I did get a error accessing the USB SDR (FCDP+); which I attributed to a Fox satellite pass being underway when I restarted and the USB bus wasn't released properly. A reboot took care of that and collection of DUV telemetry at least is working as of a few minutes ago. Also figured out that the software should auto-switch when HS-1 is visible.

No HS-1 data yet; could be wrong TLE, adjust center freq for d/l, or insufficient signal from a dual-band jpole and no mast-mount preamp. Hope to have time this weekend to fix that.

5. KA2CZU

Anyone ever see this error before?

“Try stopping and starting the decoder to reset the decimation rate”

89C433E8-1EEB-425F-AB8E-537A03A54963.png

6. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't.

7. KA2CZU

prior to 1.08z, I hadn't either.

8. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't upgrade yet, though... so maybe it's waiting for me...

9. KA2CZU

well I just switched back to 1.08r, as even after trying an update to the rpi libraries etc, still getting the weird "decimation rate" errors with 1.08z.

let you know how it goes.

K3RLD likes this.
  10. KA2CZU

Went back to 1.08r, saw 1 of the “decimation rate” error popups but overall number of decoded packets is back up to my normal rate. Still, and guess not surprising given the amsat bb messages on same, I’ve not decoded any Huskysat packets.