Hurricane Irma and our friends in Florida/Georgia. Post here!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by N6YW, Sep 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife's father is in Seminole (St Petersburg/Tampa), no water, no power, no TV, cell service is working.
    House is ok, lots of big trees down in his back yard, all stores closed (no power).

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a bummer.

I wonder how long cell service can last with no grid power ?

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

4. N2DTS

Some have generators, the ones that don't they often take generators out to the cell sites.
    Of course, you have to put gas in the generators...
    My office has a 1000 gallon tank of diesel.
    Likely last 4 or 5 days.
    I think we do 50 volts at 400 amps for an equipment load, the big AC units likely take a lot of power.
    Cell sites draw a lot less power.

5. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Made it home okay mid-day Tuesday after evacuating to Nashville, GA to look after inlaws. Reported to duty at Ft. Stewart yesterday. Minimal damage at home, primarily lawn litter and small limbs. Still cleaning up but not nearly as bad as last year by a long shot. Weird seeing state troopers and National Guard blocking exits along the way home. passes.jpg

N0TZU likes this.
  6. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

More photos....radio setup at the inlaws FT897D with tuna (worked surprisingly well) to keep track of statewide ARES nets, etc. room1.JPG room2.JPG

N0EKO likes this.
  7. N2DTS

My father in law got his power back on yesterday (wed) so he has water, gas, electric, not sure about the cable TV.
    He had some branches down in the back yard but nothing bad.
    The eye passed close, 10 or 20 miles east of his house I think.

8. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad to report both nieces and cousin checked in and said they were ok with slight damage to their houses.

Phil

KA4KOE likes this.
  9. WO4K

WO4K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My XYL (N4YAK) and I got through it pretty well. No power, cell service or cable service since Sunday night (now late Thursday afternoon). On the whole, our damage was light. The wind took out our stockade fence in the backyard and the falling fence took out the pool pump, filter and related plumbing. The worst part is trying to sleep in the muggy hotness at night without air conditioning. I grew up in FL without air conditioning, but now, at 67, I consider it a necessity. We bought a generator yesterday, so we now have power for electric fans, lights and a refrigerator that works. Will do a house connection to the breaker box this weekend. All in all, I think we skated on this one. It provided a real opportunity to sharpen our survival skills for the next time. Darn, its hot!