Humor: Strange attractions

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by W7TCT, Jul 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I call these 'strange attractions' - laws of nature that certain things and places just 'call' to inanimate objects - for example, the classic one of toast with one side of butter, peanut butter, or jelly that, if dropped, will land on floor with that side down.

Here are some others that I have considered for awhile.
    • Backhoes seek out fiber and shut down internet service
    • Wallets will find their way out of seemingly secure pockets into taxi seats.
      • (Corollary: Wallets find a way off of boats into bodies of water [Long Island Sound - both my dad's and mine on separate occasions])
    • iPads need to disappear into airplane seat pockets.
    • Screw being replaced outside of radio enclosure will miraculously find just enough of a hole to fall into radio chassis area inside enclosure.
      • (Corollary: screw will fall from bench and go immediately to the most inaccessible area under the bench.)
    • The tool you need and purposely set right in front of you will, suddenly, be just out of reach when needed.
    If you have others, please add them.

KA0USE and PU2OZT like this.
  2. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

I have personally experienced that many times. There ought to be a law! :)

PU2OZT likes this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

1-The more you rush through a repair the longer it will actually take.

2-The bands are always open when you're not on the air.

3-That fancy new radio you finally bought will be discontinued within a month after purchase.

KG5ZSU, KG5THG, PU2OZT and 1 other person like this.
  4. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you drop a tool or bolt in an engine compartment and it actually makes it onto the ground by some miracle...it will land in a bucket of coolant (or oil).

There is always that Alanis Morissette song 'Ironic' that has a handful.

PU2OZT likes this.
  5. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

- If a small part isn't stuck inside the rig, it is grabbed by one of my cats and ends under the heavier piece of furniture.
    - When the opportunity to answer CQ arises, there is always a cat lying or playing under my loop antenna.
    - Batteries of the AA-35 turn flat exactly when an ultimate antenna tuning check is needed.

W4IOA likes this.
  6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Small hardware (tiny screws, pins, clips, etc.) accelerates faster than the gravitational constant so it buries itself deep into the depths of shag rugs, never to be seen again.

(...unless you put a nylon stocking over the open end of a vacuum cleaner's hose then slowly vacuum the area where you think the parts fell...which is usually a completely different direction and distance from where they landed.)

KG5ZSU, N5CM and PU2OZT like this.
  7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't build surface mount projects on a desk over carpet.

Especially not over dark carpet

KG5ZSU and SA6CKE like this.
  8. KF5JOT

KF5JOT Ham Member QRZ Page

As an object falls, it will inflict damage inversely proportional to it’s own weight or dollar value.

Had a 27 cent screw destroy a 790 dollar turbocharger....

KG5ZSU, KK9W, SA6CKE and 5 others like this.
  9. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

A.ALL THE SHACKS IN THE WOLD.jpg

A.ITS ALL RELATIVE.jpg

A.FORGOT MY WRENCH.jpeg

---Layne AE1N

KG5ZSU, K0UO, SA6CKE and 4 others like this.
  10. WN2SQC

WN2SQC Ham Member QRZ Page

The degree of difficulty is inversely proportionate to the apparent simplicity.

K5SED, KG5ZSU, WF7A and 2 others like this.