Huggins Did It!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4Z, Jul 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. DL6MAA

DL6MAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Too emotional for my taste. I never attacked anybody personally but was attacked.
    The key must be "open language" ("open speech") - that is a single sentence in the German Amateur Radio Law.
    That is why all PACTOR modems have a listen mode. Why making things such complicated?

Peter

KX4Z likes this.
  2. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Ron he doesn't accept that those modes used pretty much exclusively on VHF/UHF like d-rats and several others don't fit the hole he's trying to force them into, nor does he seem to recognize that the combination he tested for fldigi/flmsg/flwrap is a rarely used corner case , not how it is actually used.

3. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Matt, but you leave me confused —-

That’s an argument? Those techniques do fit precisely what he doesn’t want, right? Am I missing something?

— can’t be readily read
    — theoretically “could” be used by malefactors (I’ll avoid discussing incidence since that played no role with the assertion of terrorists!)
    — what difference does frequency make to Ron or ted’s argument’s principle??
    — do these techniques or systems Have some inherent characteristic that prevents them from working on certain frequencies? We are safe from terrorists on VHF?

More later — busy learning about real risks to humanity that have killed thousands ..... Ebola, Marburg, Lasa etc. —- these amazing people suit up and take care of the victims !! Brief break...

Did I understand Ron to say that he was not concerned about WINLINK at all? Something is off here, isn’t it? I’ll have to review all the quotes .... and all the letters about WINLINK that he included....

But it is great that he is communicating. The more explanations, the better.

4. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm....overstated one part at least—-surely governments wrote the simple routine to decompress lzhuf compressed Winlink etc.... just nobody else in 19 years.

I thought people wanted that done????

5. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Peter, it wasn't complicated until your buddies over at ARSFI made it that way. Since they made it all about Winlink and Pactor perhaps you should ask them the question. They can't even get their complaints and stories right among themselves, on the one hand "it's we've always been in compliance with Part 97", and on the other hand "we needed to take this action because our users and gateway operators were ignoring the rules". Pretty good admission that
    "accusations" against their operation were in fact correct and that they flat out lied to the amateur community for two decades or so about their operation.

6. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, well, about that...

Gordon, I’ve been trying to figure out a nice way to say this to you and Ron both. Haven’t figured that one out yet. So I’m just going to say this as nicely as I can, please (both of you) do not take it as a personal insult.

This goes back to the club meeting a few days after the newsletter went out... the one that had both of your “op ed” articles on this subject in it.

Before the meeting started, I was approached by one of the club members, call him “W”. He is not involved in this forum, so I won’t say what his call is. I will tell you he is a very active Amateur, very involved in VHF & UHF work, one of the club’s antenna experts (for real), and has a personal stake in keeping our repeater system up and running. He is also a professional engineer working at a nuclear research facility in the area. And he is a Retired US Navy Captain.

In short, he’s not your run of the mill schmuck.

So W came up to me, and said... “About those articles... what the !@#$%^&#@! were those two guys talking about? I tried to read all that, and it made my head hurt!”

What I’m trying to tell you is... if you think you’re writing is clear... think again.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  7. K0IDT

Yup, done with Gordon for now. There's an awful lot he doesn't accept, even when presented with facts. If you want to try and continue to explain things to him feel free.

8. K0IDT

Thanks Ron. I don't know what could have been more clear in mine, some additional background may have been useful to those not following what's at the FCC. I'm guessing J. doesn't spend much time in the RTTY/Data areas on the low bands. He does have the background to understand the problems though. I tried, not much else I can do at this point.

9. DL6MAA

DL6MAA Ham Member QRZ Page

So, when I read how little and how derogatory Ron mentions that with PMON_LZH a surprisingly good monitoring
    tool for continuous use exists, I get the impression that it's not about transparency, unfortunately. :(

I still miss at least a formal differentiation between mode and application. First you have to define the terms,
    then you can discuss. I only can reiterate that even open source modes will not change the monitoring problem
    as soon as data compression is applied. So please ask for a ban of data compression - if you do not like these techniques -
    but do not ask for useless or even harmful additional regulations regarding modes.

BTW, is it still permissible for US and EU radio amateurs to communicate with each other on CW - or does that now
    also require a third-party agreements between the US and the EU?;)

Peter

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    KX4Z likes this.
  10. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, he does have a major interest in remote control, has a fantastic semi-homebrewed SDR transceiver, and any time someone puts a Raspberry Pi on their hamfest table for a couple of bucks (either because they bought a newer one, or couldn’t figure out Linux), it tends to end up in his hands.

He hasn’t expressed much interest in the digital modes... yet. But it’s just a matter of time.

And no, he didn’t specify which parts of which article were of concern to him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.