ad: MyersEng-1

Huggins Did It!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4Z, Jul 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

All of this will go away. Already, I cause essentially ZERO interference to the RTTY crowd --- but they cause a LOT of (potential) interference to me. The frequencies are there, and they have just as much right to them as I do, so during their contests, no one gets through to me, and that is fine. I have no more right to the ferquency than they do. But they have a huge advantage by regulation --- I'm stuck in a 5 kHz window and they aren't.....and now they wish to make the jail even tighter.....the JS8 folks will bear the brunt. Such is life!

2. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Gordon, I've had that capability for over a decade with RTTY, PSK and a few other modes. You're late to the party, and you still haven't figured out what you've missed in this entire discussion. ARSFI won't figure it out, it's already too late for that, and change the way they operate.

Good luck with your next filing, I'm going back to the ignore function for now.

3. WB6CXC

WB6CXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Then the users need to be educated.

I've certainly never thought that the Winlink published frequencies were exclusively for Winlink. With JS8, even though we tend to stick to the recommended frequencies , we know that these frequencies are shared with others. When the FT8 / FT4 crowd uses "our" JS8 frequencies we don't get in a snit. They have the same legal right to be there as we do. There will always be lids, and there will always be propagation dead-zones. Unless you actually *do* own a particular frequency (and you don't), you're just going to have to accept this.

KX4Z likes this.
  4. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh hi! Had no idea you were listening. Pleased to make your acquaintance again. Now please attend to FLMSG, ok?

5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

that's why I use Linux for 90% of my programing

KX4Z likes this.
  6. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, I am soooooooo glad, that I will never likely have to make another filing on RM-11831. This last one just about did me in. It took at least 15 hours, maybe 20 just to write it....and maybe 30 hours went into just the data collection..... If there is anyone left on the planet who doesn't understand how dumb this all was after looking at Appendix 5.....well there is just not much more i can do. I was pleased to see how strongly the ARRL made my fist point there. It wasn't for them to deal with the consquences, but I think I took care of the implications. now we will find out the character of persons. I need to put in some good words for some folks because it's hard. Wishing everyone the best!!!

7. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

what languages do you write in, may I ask??

8. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course, I have *zero* control over what the WINLINK folks do.....so I cannot predict anything of what might really happen, I can only make suggestions. But I have a feeling that the newer crowd in the world is looking a bit more for utility and therefore they are seeing different advantages in ham radio than what us oldsters like me, first saw. The arrival of the cell phone was a game changer --- now EVERYONE has a radio, and one that is incredibly funtional!!! I personally am more fscinated with electronics and challenges....and tht certainly has played well with our local club here where I am, which is growing and growing and growing. not by leaps and bounds, mind you, but quite steadily. And eveyoe is having a ton of fun. our last project was a huge winner with 15 people all busy winding and soldering all over my 1st floor. Best lunchNLab we ever had....

9. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Go ahead and try it if you like. I've tried and got the "attitude" back in return. A good portion of the users don't give a flying fig about amateur radio, only that they can get their emails when they want them. Oh, if Winlink is so concerned about speed why do they allow html and RTF emals on the system? How about the slugs that clog up what's claimed to be an "emergency" service with downloads of the BBC news feeds--on a daily basis. Winlink should educate their users, it seems they are making some attempts, after 2 decades of ignoring the abuse, but it's probably too late.

Looks like Gordon missed the part about me going back to ignoring his posts......he misses quite a lot.

10. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm old school.... and have been programming since the mid 1980's. Nowadays I mostly do Python / R / and large system programs for Hadoop / MOSIX / SPARC / Oracle DB and so forth..... but I'm not unfamiliar with BASIC/ QBASIC/ Visual Basic / Fortran / C / C++ /Java... .and a few others. To be honest, once you get the program flow and interface screens worked out, the actual coding is easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.