Huggins Did It!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4Z, Jul 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya know, maybe you should consider marketing and making an affordable magic box interface to decode as a stand alone device. Then no one can complain about not being able to see/afford to be able to see.

2. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

The definition of affordable will never resolve to everyone's satisfaction.

WZ7U likes this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe it would if it is scaled MFJ affordable.

Then only a couple people could complain without looking foolish.

4. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, even without the special hardware part, the use of compression without a system developer specific release of the software is where the main sticking point is. It doesn't seem to matter that they have for years pointed to the original source of what they used, and more recently have included links to open source implementations of their system. That's the basic desire behind RM-11831: to require future system designers and development treams to provide any specialty software to enable other hams to monitor what's being sent without needing to connect to an internet server to see a decoded version of the message.

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Matt --- I actually see some merit in some segments of their requests. The persons writing here may not have read my proposals where I echoed some of their thoughts with my support. That's the thing about facts --- once they are nailed down, then the right path forward sometimes becomes more clear to everyone!

What surprises me is that they don't offer to help bring about what they claim to want so fervently.

if I understand things, the entry requirement might be the size of a pack of cigarettes and be in the range of $40. [That is guesswork on my part: I have no control over anything other than what I personally am working on.....and disclosing periodically in papers that apprently don't get studied by that many HERE. ] Where perhaps will the goalposts be moved next?

Cheers,

Gordon

6. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

None of the banter here is currently accomplishing anything other than entertainment of a twisted sort, and wasting time. All the real work is being accomplished by people thousands of miles apart, all working in their own niche for the good of ham radio openness, learning and education.

Those accomplishments are building, brick by brick, quite a structure of accomplishment.

As a corollary to that, Day by day, paper by paper, the false claims are being exposed, one after another.

The missing clothes of the emperors are becoming more and more obvious to more and more readers by carefully written explanations --- even with opportunities in some instances for people to perform their own testing on their own computer. The graciousness of some commercial firms is increasing the number of people who can join together. You just can't speak so many false notions for so long and not attract attention from people bright enough to expose what the truth is, in a way that a larger and larger number of people can understand. Ham radio is a collaborative effort by cooperative people for the good of all. As it becomes more and more obvious who *IS* and who are *NOT* actually doing any real work.....toward obviously agree-upon goals.....then more and more people recognize who are the truth-speakers....... hard to keep that silent forever.

Actions speak a ton louder than the most expensive paper you can buy.

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Nevermind, not worth the argument

9. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Matthew, do you really want to write the requirement of an internet accessible message database into a Part 97 rule? I sure don't, and that's the only way it would have half a chance of working. ARSFI has already said their viewer is only temporary, not sure what that means, but long experience with them says they can't be trusted on any level.

If you really want to petttion to have a "window" available for mode "x", I predict the villagers will soon visit, pitchforks and torches in hand.

10. DL6MAA

DL6MAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Once again: Your "open source" demand will not help to solve the issue.

The problem is a physical one: File compression on fluctuating and noisy HF channels!!
    Do you want to prohibit LZW on HF? Then you have to write that into the law.

You simply confuse data transfer protocols like PACTOR and VARA and applications utilizing
    compression like Winlink.
    You should not forget that LZW has served well for 30 years - and is a standard tool.

73 de Peter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.