Huggins Did It!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4Z, Jul 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure thing. I've long thought a video of such a process would help a lot of folks so the time has come. I think the best approach is for me to repeat the steps outlined, admittedly coarsely (I was rushing it out the door), in my ECFS document with a screen capture session to a video. I would like to do this on fresh data heard by the modem as it is still capturing frames on 3588.5 or so, but could also perform the same on the data from the document... or both.
    You know I was wondering about that as well. The only person that can confirm correct content is the sender. The fact that binary data fed through lzhuf spits out legible text with the proper email headers and such is compelling evidence. However, the for sure test comes from confirming the received message with the sender. Let me think that one through a bit, but in the meantime a video showing the steps towards legit decode is a proper step forward.

WZ7U likes this.
  2. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, thank you. Something like this (a video) would be most helpful towards stopping all the bickering and backbiting.

Although, getting a verification from the sender would be a slam dunk. Otherwise, perfectly read copy is a very good second. Apparently better than what has been in the past.

Thank you for your effort and willingness to entertain a lowly extra like me. I have downloaded your document and will get back to you when I'm done.

Again, thank you very much.

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

One word - Fascinating!
    fascinating.jpg

6. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Authoritative enough?
    "We wish this was not necessary, but we have relied on US client and gateway operators to know the rules and obey them.
    and most have ignored them, unfortunately for all of us."
    Lor W3QA

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

John,
    I would ask you to consider posting a new thread dedicated to your work, and with a copy of your letter with the view of 1. Getting out the word. 2. Attracting interest from other ham/programmers who can further refine the procedure and develop a application to fully automate the process.

-More clearly describe your original setup and procedure.
    -That an SCS modem is not required for reception (If I understand correctly)
    -Alternative reception equipment /software

Further development
    -Purpose & Goals
    -Who/what expertise is needed
    -List what work needs to be done, break down in steps
    -Need to discern and define the SCS protocol format(?)
    -Porting final program to Windows for maximum audience
    -Whether you wish to be contacted or further involved.

Thanks for sharing! Bill

K0IDT and WZ7U like this.
  8. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

All of the results are posted on the FCC comment site. Along with another 600 postings...
    If you follow precisely what Huggins wrote, yes anyone with a pactor modem can do it.
    Gordon

9. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

They are posted on the FCC COMMENT SITE -- along with another 600+ comments......
    When you go there, enter RM-11831 and you can read all 600, or you can search by filer name or just read from the END and you'll find all our most recent work.

That is a public record. That is where the good stuff is located.
    Gordon

10. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Perfectly authoritative and likely correct. he is telling you that the systems operators haven't performed to the level he would have preferred.
    But it only says what it says. It says nothing about their system, only the failings of human operators.....but that isn't news to anyone on the planet......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.