HTX-200

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KG4TYK, Jun 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. KG4TYK

KG4TYK Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had an HTX-200 for several months now...It has some ups and downs worth considering if you are looking at one.  First they are cheap...I bought it on sale for $129 I believe...I see they are now on clearance for the same price perhaps they will drop some more at some point.  It does have 30 presets...enough for what O do certainly....it's VERY small and handy,,,hardly larger than a text pager. It has a decent battery life off 2 AA cells...scan feature an expanable transmit range ...shares PTT/earbud setup with motorola and several other 2 pin headset FRS radios (if you happen to already have them)  and at 2 watts it is a decent usable radio in most applications.  Now the downside is power...you need a 9V input to get 2 watts...the rest of the time is 200 milliwatts...that's kinda lame...though it is a decent "around town" HT as one local ham put it.  I would like to have seen it just a tad larger with an extra batt or two pushing at least half a watt...the features outway the power.  It has all the features you need and a minamum of "extras" once you get it programmed and set up it is a joy to use...there are few buttons so you have to remember a few combination keystrokes to access some features in the field....again there is no numeric keypad so making a phone patch requires an additional dialer unit and expense....so how do I feel overall??  Well I'll end up keeping it...it's a handy grab and go unit even though a bit underpowerd...it certainly is handy.  It is a good around town unit...daily beater...toss and go...whatever you wish to call it.  It is NOT my ideal radio...but it can be called upon to do medium duty chores when introduced to a 9V power source of a good 1000 mah or so...hooked up to a simple roll up J-pole made from 300 ohm TV antenna wire and a 9V DC rechargable power pack in my bedroom it can do anything I need though not exactly streamlined at that point...the same setup minus the power pack would be handy to take out backpacking or camping/hunting ect.  Even so I would want a bit more power...it is best considered a handy in town model I think...if you have good repeaters in your area it will likely be a decent choice for a handy daily tag along unit....I guess for the money I can't truely complain...compared to the resale value I think I'd rather just keep it and realize it's limitations...OUT [​IMG]

2. WB2GOF

WB2GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

Shady O'Rack products are notorious for being closed and locked down. You cannot modify them for out of band operation. This rig would be more useful if it could be opened up for FRS to use with the wife & kiddies. But this model can't. You can open it up slightly with a keyboard mod, but receive only. Plus 300mw is sorta lame, unless you live in da big city, or in da shadow of a repeater. Plus, you can get one in prime condition on eBay for about $60.00 now. I had one, but I got tired of it and got a real 5 watt HT, with out of band capabilities.

3. KG4RRM

KG4RRM Ham Member QRZ Page

WB2GOF, what exactly is this keyboard mod. I haven't been able to find anything on rx mods. If you or anyone else has any rx mods, please email me at
    ahunter5@cox.net. thanks

4. WB2GOF

WB2GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KB5ZVV

KB5ZVV Ham Member QRZ Page

I got mine on closeout sale for $49.97. Simplex QSOs to another 200 about one mile or so, repeater access to about 15 miles. The VCO is a little flaky with some frequency instability noted on a service monitor when tapping on the case. The wire from the antenna connector to the circuit board had a very bad solder joint on the board,(it acually broke loose, but was an easy fix) and I know of one other radio with the same problem. Overall, a fun little radio. Several local hams got one to play with due to the price.

Kevin

6. KC9AAH

KC9AAH QRZ Member QRZ Page

Just bought the HTX-200 for a steal-($49.97) on clearance. I like the radio, but it will not receive our local repeater. I can tx into the machine, but I need the scanner to hear the replies. Also, when I open the squelch, there is no hiss. The monitor button does work, but not the squelch knob. A fellow ham bought this same unit and returned it to RS. He mentioned the frequenices somebody had wrote in the manual. So, he was the second purchaser of this radio, with myself being the third. What do I do now?

Shawn Kurschner--KC9AAH
    Manitowoc, WI

7. KC9AAH

KC9AAH QRZ Member QRZ Page

I just fixed my problem. You have to hold down the function button to enter a special menu. My squelch tail was turned off.

Shawn Kurschner--KC9AAH
    Manitowoc, WI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.