HTML-Kit Tools

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AJ8MH, Dec 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AJ8MH

AJ8MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using HTML-Kit 292 and HTML-Kit Tools for many years, and have lost the dictionary capabilities in HTML-Kit Tools. (It works in HTML-KIT 232.)

Both programs seem to have lost developer support. Their blog is outdated and clicking on their support forum gives a 502 bad gateway error, so finding help seems impossible. I like both programs and hate to change to another editor. I've reloaded both programs and reloaded the dictionary plug-in, but nothing has helped. HTML-Kit Tools does show I have an active dictionary, so maybe there is something wrong with Spell Check calling the dictionary.

When I click on Manage Dictionaries, I do see "hkEN_US (version 20191220) [Pending Verification]". When I try to load another dictionary, it's looking for a .hdi file. No .hdi files on my machine.

Any suggestions?

2. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

I may be mistaken, yet any message in that format "hkxxxxx" would make me suspect that there is a registry key issue. "EN_US" would make me think English / United States. Thus it appears that the message you are receiving implies either: 1. The folks who would send you the dictionary language file do not want to send that version, simply to check your machine for it. This implies that their version of HTML-Kit requires an older registry version file ( maybe tied to an older Operating System Version ) than what you have at this time. 2. The reverse case is true, that they are looking for a registry file newer than you have on your machine. In either case, there is a utility program built into many PC operating systems called "REGEDIT". I would hope that a better programmer than I could advise you further on how to determine the answer and proceed. It is my understanding that one can really make a mess of an operating system if the registry is incorrectly modified.

3. AJ8MH

I'm familiar with REGEDIT. I did a manual search and a key-word search and couldn't find anything that appeared useful. I'm now wondering if JAVA has anything to do with it.

I just installed JAVA 64 bit and that didn't help. Maybe I should try 32 bit...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  4. AJ8MH

JAVA 32 bit isn't the problem either. I think I just don't have the correct dictionary file. I think it's supposed to be hkEN_US.hdi.

5. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have also been using HTML-Kit for 292 for many years, but I don't know if I will be of any help. Most of my writing is in Javascript and have never used the spell checker on the HTML. But I did give it a try.

When I try the spell checker, it flags an error and says that, it could not find the files required. Since I never bothered with it, that could be true. If I let it open a page for the spell checker files, it takes me to some dumb page about making a favorite ICON.

I did try "spell checking using MS Word" and it worked. I first had to select the portion I wanted to check, and then enabled the check. It worked like it was suppose to.

Since the 292 release is free, I have never expected any kind of support. Usually, the free version is just an older version of their tools.

I'm using Windows 10 Home and haven't installed Java 32 or 64 in a long time. I haven't found any need for it.

6. AJ8MH

Here is the link for the dictionary and thesaurus for release 292. It works great. ( http://www.chami.com/html-kit/proof/ ) Read the directions on this link to install once you have the files downloaded. Unfortunately, these two files do not work with HTML-Kit Tools, which appears to be looking for ( hkEN_US.hdi ), and I can't find it anywhere.

7. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

8. AJ8MH

Yup, looked everywhere and have searched for hidden files, too.