HT with GPS scan for repeaters by location??? Not sure what this feature is called

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by WICIGADO, May 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WICIGADO

WICIGADO QRZ Member

I have an Icom 5100 in my car. One of the main reasons I bought it was because it has the ability to save a HUGE repeater list to the SD card. So I can download all the repeaters for all the states around me and have them saved in the device. Then with the GPS function it has, I can also scan repeaters near me. Not only that, but it even shows a "friendly" name for the repeaters. Which is usually the city which they are nearest. I need these feature in an HT. Are there any HTs that have this function? I'm not even sure what that function is called. Everything I search for just brings up DMR radios and stuff for APRS. I did read that the Icom ID-51A DOES have this feature, however on some other forum sites I found people saying it works great and others saying it doesn't work at all. I'm very confused. Can anyone here verify that the ID-51A Plus2 DOES have this function or recommend any other HT that does. THANKS!!!

2. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes the 51A has the same function and can scan for repeaters by GPS. How well it works will probably depend on the GPS signal wherever you are. The Kenwood D74A also has a similar feature for finding nearby repeaters although I believe it will only find D-Star repeaters via GPS, the 51/5100 will find both D-Star and FM repeaters.
    I have all 3 of the above mentioned radios but don't travel around much (even before the lockdown) so I don't have personal experience using this function in different areas.
    You also have to consider the accuracy of the repeater list, the ones from Icom haven't been updated in a few years and some of the listed repeaters may no longer be active while others may not be listed. You can get more recent lists that are radio-specific from http://dstarinfo.com/RepeaterDownloads.aspx

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm waiting for a G{S that shows the yard sales.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. KA3WFY

KA3WFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious, does your ID-5100 show FM repeaters in the "Nearby Repeater" function? I downloaded a list of nearby repeaters, with 75% FM and 25% D-STAR from dstarinfo. I confirmed my "Local" FM repeaters are in the .csv file and uploaded it to the unit. However, when I do a nearby repeater search for "FM" it shows me a list of about 5 repeaters, all farther away than my local group.

Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here! :)