HT/FT818 Amplification?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KE8OKM, Oct 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1JNT

    K1JNT Ham Member QRZ Page

    Think that a small mobile would still be a better and easier solution. I looked at the mid power setting of my Kenwood TM-V71A and it draws about 5.5 amps for 10-15 watts out and 13 amps for full 50 watts. I don't think you can do much better with a brick behind your HT...especially if you have both drawing from the same battery. And using an HT at full power for much more than a few quick QSO's is tough on heat. Mobile rig is built better for heat. And you would only be packing one item vs two. If you look at 2m only mobile rigs, you might find something that draws even less current than my V71A and possibly smaller...although you probably need to look through the user manuals to find mid power level specs. The one thing easier with using an HT is that you're holding the antenna and radio and can change directions quicker. But who's logging? Also look at the LiFePo batteries...they seem to be the preferred power source.
  2. K1JNT

    K1JNT Ham Member QRZ Page

    I took a quick look through what's out there for 2m mobiles and the Yaesu FT-2980R looks like a good candidate. With 4 power settings, the current draws are 5w/4a..10w/5a.. 30w/9a..80w/15a...and it's small and more affordable than an amp. And hook it up using an appropriate trailer connector and you can pop it into your vehicle and have it do double duty while you travel back and forth to summits.
  3. KE8OKM

    KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

    Thanks for suggestions on mobile rigs. I have pondered that route also. I think the no longer produced FT90R at 25w max output would be ideal. I have been keeping on the lookout for one. The TYT 8600 looks like a cool radio but I’m not sure about, durability, emissions within legal range, reportedly easily overloaded front end.

    Anyone have experience with the TYT8600?
  4. K1JNT

    K1JNT Ham Member QRZ Page

    You might check the reviews on eHam. Good luck with all this. If you ever get up into the Hudson Valley, point north and you might work some of our locals up here in the Capital District area. 520 gets a lot of listening time up here.
  5. WB2WIK

    WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    I'd avoid "TYT" if possible.
    K1JNT likes this.
  6. KE8OKM

    KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

    I conducted a SOTA activation of Hunter Mountain in the Catskills a couple weeks ago using 5W HT with handheld Yagi. I did manage a couple QSOs with Capital region hams. I am planning on doing a Catskill weekend soon. I’ll make sure to alert you!

    K1JNT likes this.
  7. K1JNT

    K1JNT Ham Member QRZ Page

    Very cool...send me an email and I'll try to let some others here know also.
    KE8OKM likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

    WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    Hunter's a good spot for VHF.

    My friend Bill K2OWR and I operated from there back in about 1970 and the lifts were running (or at least one was, anyway), and we used heavy non-portable equipment that required AC power (tube stuff, including a 2m kW amplifier).

    Bill had previously scoped it out to find there was a "warming hut" fairly close to the summit, and it had AC power! We didn't know "how much" power it had, but found it did provide sufficient juice for us to run several pieces of tube gear and we found a way to strap an 8L 2m beam on a mast, using a sturdy pole that was already there.

    It took a long time to set up. We loaded the gear, piece by piece, onto chairs on the lift, then the beam, then cables, etc. until everything was on its way up, then hopped into a chair ourselves and followed all that. Once at the hut and kind of jumping off the chair, we had to wait for all the gear to make a round trip to the bottom and back up, and try to grab it, piece by piece, until we finally had it all unloaded.

    I can't believe we had the patience for that, it must have taken at least an hour just to unload everything.

    Once on the air, we were working stations from Nova Scotia to Virginia, and west to Ohio, all on 2m AM. I think looking due north towards Montreal, or NW towards Toronto, were blocked by the summit but the other directions were open.

    Fun memories of Hunter! I wonder if that "warming hut" is still there after 50 years?

Share This Page