HT/FT818 Amplification?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KE8OKM, Oct 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking for the most power efficient/light weight option of amplification for my HTs and FT818? This amplifier would be used conducting VHF SOTA activations. I have been looking for ways to increase my QSO count in more remote areas. I added a handheld Arrow Yagi to my quiver and think the amp will help.

I considered just using a Mobile VHF rig but the power draw is much higher than a HT/Mirage type amp.

To the Elmers out there. Which amp is best for these requirements?

β€œ73”

Erik

2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had good success with a 5w HT and a slim-jim up 15' or so into the trees for SOTA. Is the power drain of a mobile rig that much higher than the HT+Amp combination? What about the added complexity of having two devices?

I checked the power draw of one Mirage amp and it's greater than that of a Yaesu 2980 alone. Then there is the need to run the HT or 818, adding to the draw.

Chris

3. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

You might consider improving your portable antenna first. That will improve your transmit as well as receive.
    Tom WA4ILH

WA9SVD likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Around here, the SOTA activations are all pretty high mountaintops and everybody seems to use 5W or even less, focusing primarily on the antenna and not the power.

They're out there every darned morning -- some at 5:30-6:00 AM when this time of year, it's "dark!" I'm usually up at that hour and puttering in the shack or the kitchen, and leave a 2m rig tuned to 146.52 FM simplex and it's always yapping. The ops find such good spots I can hear them working home stations 150 miles away, and sometimes even mobile stations at about that distance -- I do not hear everyone they work, since I'm not on a mountaintop!

A small beam (vertically polarized for FM) is a great idea, but I wouldn't hand-hold it. One hand on the rig or mike, another on the antenna, leaves no hands for anything else -- plus that's not a very good way to operate for more than a minute or two. I'd bring a small collapsible, lightweight tripod like an aluminum camera tripod that collapses down to maybe 24" and weighs only a pound or so, set that up and put the beam on it so once aimed, the beam will stay that way and I have hands free for other things.

5. KE8OKM

I think I am going to first upgrade my Rollup Jpole to a Arrow 3 element Yagi (which I have but not used yet) and see how that goes. The Rollup served me well in the high peaks of the Rockies this past summer.

Activating the flat/much lower Pennsylvania summits VHF is going to take some ingenuity and improvements in my setup.

6. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you'll be surprised what the Arrow can do. That's why so many people use it for satellite work. However, you might consider adding a lightweight camera tripod to your gear. The Arrow actually becomes quite heavy after a few minutes. If you remove the foam handle, you'll find that the boom is already pre-drilled for mounting to a tripod.

7. KE8OKM

0B8C80B3-CA29-4ABD-887E-8BBB81105FE3.jpeg I am happy to report the Arrow 3 element Yagi worked beautifully on 2 SOTA summits this past weekend. I had a 70+ QSO into Ohio from atop Bearcave lookout mountain in PA. I built a crude stand for antenna with $5 worth of 1” PVC pipe.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I love the "tape it to a rock!" installation!

9. KE8OKM

Haha! My intention was to push pipe into ground. It’s all rocks up There, But gorilla tape solves a lot of problems!

10. N5HXR

N5HXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, I thought that was velcro. Was trying to think if I've ever seen hook and loop boulders before!