ad: UR5CDX-1

HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I see I made that mistake as well...Ooops!

2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Steve . . . Windows is an operating system that millions use. No ham radio software comes close to being used by that number of people. To suggest Windows cost such and such a price and thus ham software should too ignores basic supply and demand principles that control business.

I run Windows 7 on my machines and have no idea what GRUB is. I'll have to look that one up. Since when did HRD require Windows 7?? That's a new one on me.

Logic by Hosenose has been a logging program around for years. MANY years. It's expensive yet survives today! So much for those who say they won't spend money on software.

And no, I'm not part of HRD though my call is similar to the owner. :)

............Bob

3. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

And Bob, you're accross the Bay from me. ;)

4. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I figured out the call sign discrepancy Bob. I'm a little slow sometimes.

And to your other questions:

GRUB is a Boot loader mostly used by the Linux operating system...there are others but the Ubuntu that is installed on this machine uses GRUB. So because HRD doesn't work under Linux unless I use WINE or Virtual Machine (both suck) so I needed to install Windows in a Dual Boot configuration with Linux, because I wanted install and run the new HRD to make sure there were no major changes and prevent myself from looking like a complete fool. I chose Windows7 because this machine runs well with it and Windows7 has almost all of the drivers I need for this old ASUS Board, plus it was on top of the pile. When I installed Windows7 it overwrote my Boot Sector which then prevented me from booting to Ubuntu. So, I had to install the Boot Loader (GRUB) which I had never done before. So I learned something new.

Now I can boot into Windows or Ubuntu. See? That was simple! :D

5. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Makes me long for the Commodore 64!! Whew!!

6. NT2C

NT2C Ham Member QRZ Page

More program than I need and at a price I can't justify. I don't own a rig that it'll interface with (and won't be able to afford one that will anytime soon), don't own a beam, prefer FLDigi for digital modes, bought my "everything" license from N3FJP before I ever heard of HRD, have seldom used it for anything but satellite tracking, it won't run in Linux, and I have a pathological aversion to high dollar software that also requires a yearly financial outlay if you want to stay current or get support.

I wish you well with it though.

7. KD8IGK

KD8IGK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey pay $59.95 now and get Version 6 later at no added fee does not seem that bad. Not everyone can afford that, but there are alternatives that are free that work well. The developers of HRD are taking a huge risk at a critical time in this rewrite and they deserve compensation for that risk. Both parties in this transaction are making a bet on the future.

One improvement that they made in the HRD Logbook is if you click a spot the radio mode changes based on the frequency to either CW or SSB. This is similar to the mode control in N1MM. I use N1MM for Contests and HRD for general logging functions.

If we really want to do something usefull raise H*&^ about the outrageous gas prices and food cost and express ourself in November at the voting booth.

8. W9MB

W9MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I for one, am pleasantly surprised at the intro price. I thought it might be much higher, and therefore out of my reach. If it is not crippled after the year, it seems like a fair price. More fair than your digital suites for Kantronics. I always said that HRD would be worth paying for with quality support. Time for me to step up. Can I get a combo deal with the Kantronics suite?

Mike W9MB

9. KB1VCZ

KB1VCZ Ham Member QRZ Page

$49.95 is the sweet spot price for this software suite.

Anything above that, and you're total sales take will be negatively impacted by the reduction in units sold.

10. KH6DC

KH6DC Ham Member QRZ Page

I paid the intro price earlier today. Can't wait for v6.0 to be released.

73 de KH6DC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.