ad: M2Ant-1

HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI6VLB

KI6VLB Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't so the old version works just fine.

2. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

B..B...But I got to learn how to install GRUB! I should have asked you, O' Great Linux Jedi. May the Kernel be with you.... LOL!

3. NT2C

NT2C Ham Member QRZ Page

So, your opinion then is that hams here who express their dismay about the price are all potential thieves? Planning to take it for nothing? And if you don't consider cost, how do you determine value?

Oh, and the PC I typed this on cost $299.00... eleven years ago. Have a nice day! :)

4. KH2D

KH2D Ham Member QRZ Page

5. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm with you Bob. It's hard to avoid the conclusion that many hams are cheaper than retirees in Florida... Many commentators in this thread seem unable to reconcile in their minds that whatever Simon did or not do is no longer relavent to HRD/DM780. New owners, new software, new ballgame.

I spend thousands of dollars each year on productivity software updates and licenses for my work. There is nothing there that I expect for free. If someone is taking their time to develop something that is of use to me--and extends or enhances my ability to accomplish something--they have a reasonable expectation to be compensated for their effort. I financially support EVERY ham radio resource that I use every year. If it were not for those of us that do, you cheapskates would have very little to use...

Here is an idea! Go buy that $70 Windows 7 for Morons at Home Edition as suggested by MOT, and see how much that helps your ham experience.

Rick, I'm in!

6. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

You completely missed or ignored my point. The price is high, so take it or leave it. It is obvious by the poll on the HRD website and this thread that the majority of potential customers agree. I'm not saying keep it free, I'm just saying don't price most of your potential customers out of it. I'll leave it at that.

What you pay for your work software and licenses has absolutely no bearing on this subject. Work vs. Hobby.

Hey, did you really just call Windows7 users "Morons"? That's some funny stuff right there.....The mods openly breaking the forum rules. LOL!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  7. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sigh. I think some folks debate for the sake of thinking they have something intelligent to say. No one thinks HRD owners or buyers are thieves. Expressing your "dismay" isn't the issue, but if price is your first concern, you're most likely to get less than what you want.

Value is determined by the return of your investment. If I can pay 80 bucks and squeeze a few more modes out and do things with my radio I cannot with what I currently have, I'm all for it. I paid 60 bucks to the FCC just so I can work one or two modes that few else in the USA can. I guess if you're only picking up the microphone on your rig, and seldom use your computer with it, the ROI is nada. For those of us that use radio by mouse-click more than by spinning a knob, it'll be more satisfactory I think.

Like I said earlier, people are using old gear, software, computers, etc. just fine. If your computer is 11 years old, then you've not had the opportunity to experience on it today's tech. Which may be nothing for those that prefer simpler days, but for me, I'm always looking for something new to do. I can do 20 things on my computer that one as old as yours couldn't do one of. But again, if you don't need it, then there's no reason to upgrade.

And no reason to complain about price either, since you won't be upgrading anyway methinks!

8. AE1PT

No, but you have a track record of running away with the wrong interpretations of things at times...

There is a corrolary between productivity software for work and that used for avocations. Both allow me to gain a satisfactory result. I believe in paying for quality products that do just that. Life is too short to waste on "hobby programmer" or all too many of the open source productivity applications for either--that look and handle like its still 1998. The business logic of limited user base versus volume was pointed out to you--obviously that thought was not in your mind in the beginning--nor now. Comparing Windows to ham software is simply not a valid argument on any level.

I also disagree with your hasty generalization "majority of potential customers" and what they might do. I believe that the new developers of HRD will fare just fine. After over 5 years on this forum I can say one thing with certainty. The ones who contribute nothing to support the resources they use are the ones who also whine and complain the loudest about changes and how their experiences are dissapointed. And I can also state with certainty, they are not the "majority".

BTW, I use Win 7 Professional on my workstations. My comment concerns the shortcomings of the Home Edition--which is intended for the bottom level and most often clueless PC user. Always looking for something to carp about...

9. KF7RHB

KF7RHB Ham Member QRZ Page

I know that there is a stereotype that hams are well heeled pensioners, but believe it or not, there are many hams who can not afford this even were it at 50 usd. Some of us operate on shoestrings. Sometimes literally.

Good luck to the new owners of HRD. No doubt many rich hams will happily pay yearly support, then haughtily scoff at the many (and growing) ranks of younger, poorer, and restricted income senior hams who can not afford the extravagance. (Wanna bet those DX stations you bureau with IRC's and SASE's will be running some other software than HRD 6?)

Mentioning this fact doesn't make one a whining cheapskate, only a realist. Elite clubs can satisfy themselves with their pricey gold membership buttons and conspicuously consumed radios. They are welcome to it. Godspeed! But there is a world beyond the country club, believe it or not.

For the rest of us it is not unreasonable to shrug and raise eyebrow, seeing a formerly free and quality product, supported by gold and widow's mites both, now placed beyond the means of many. Ham tech seems egregiously tuned to the yachtsman class in general, which is a shame in that it makes options scarce for the rest of us. This is problem enough when seeking a radio, a major and committed investment when on a budget. But software? Sorry, not even in consideration.

Perhaps some enterprising and hungry coder will take a cue from iOS, where wares register for 1-10 USD, and make a good biz living from that end of the spectrum. Or better yet, ad-supported shareware.

Till then, and even beyond, FLDigi indeed... Thank Heaven for Linux!

10. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Then pick a hobby that costs less to maintain. Good luck with that. Ham radio is one of the cheapest hobbies, as there's very little further investment once your station is complete. I can replace my entire station for under three grand. I can't even buy a decent used car for that price.

80 bucks makes me rich? Well heck, I should have put that towards that Flex 5000 I wanted! Sorry OM, just because someone appears to afford 80 bucks better than you doesn't make them rich. I am perhaps without other luxuries or expenses, but certainly not rich here! I *wish* I could count on a monthly government stipend!

I doubt I'll need support beyond the forums (never have paid for support yet and part of the HRD test team), so the "ongoing" cost of HRD is moot to me.

Yeah, it's called real life. Name me any one hobby that doesn't require investments. To call those that put $$ into ham radio instead of food, car, home, etc. as a "country club" shows you're not very committed OM! 8)

I think beyond the means of some. "Many" is a big word to use when you don't know us all. I don't have a huge budget, otherwise, I'd invest in a better antenna or rig. 80 bucks is about what I spend on cigarettes a month, and they're not nearly as enjoyable!

I agree that Linux is the best operating system. However, I can do in 30 seconds in Windows what takes you 30 minutes in Linux (say, dual-monitors just as an example), so I'll stay with Microsoft for now. Besides, what O/S you prefer won't matter soon as it'll all be "cloud" based computing soon anyway.

11. KW2HV

KW2HV Guest

Rick I think the part about being up until 3AM working on the code is unnccessary. I would think you are a partner in this business. With that said you were up till 3AM to help your business. Please don't pretend you were doing it for us. The fact that it is free means nothing as you will be charging for future versions. You would have to do all those fixes anyway.

Personally I think $80 is steep considering its been free for all these years. Lets not forget the additional $30 for QRZ. We still have to pay for that too. As for the overwhelming majority - I'm thinking they are very silent. They need to post up.

Also your response reads as if you are angry. The forum is here for input. If you don't like what you are reading then stop reading it.

Just my observation.

12. AE1PT

Well said, Frank.

How soon some forget why HRD went on the sale block--or how development stalled during the past 3 years with only a few bug fixes addressing a slate of issues with the program package. Simon turned his attention to software development which paid him well enough to pay his bills. Obviously, even those of us who annually donated to him was not enough. We saw the result. Simon and company made a business decision at the beginning that was honored in the death of a developmental partner. That decision and standing by it nearly put him in the poorhouse. I wish the current group great success--and for my part will collect deposit containers from the side of the road if necessary to support my various hobbies.

No one is twisting anyone's arm to continue the upgrade cycle. Download 5.11 or whatever free maintenance release appears in the future, and use it until you are SK. I have not seen anywhere that there is an $80 ANNUAL licensing fee. I suspect that like virtually all other payware on the market there will be a discount to those engaged in a regular upgrade process. Buy the new software and only upgrade every several years--or not at all. Resentment that others may have or dedicate portions of their income to the hobby in excess of others is a lame argument. Do with what you have, what you can resource and maintain, and forget about what others might be able or not able to do.

Let's really put this into perspective. Every day of the week for the next year, take a quarter out of your pockets and put it into a jar. At the end of the year, you will have enough saved to buy the software, a fine deli sandwich, and a six pack of premium beer to chase down the food. Throw $0.35 in everyday and buy the software, also having enough to subscribe to QRZ and savor the aforementioned food and drink.

All a matter of perspective and priority, isn't it?

13. NB3R

NB3R Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HRD is an important part of my station. I think the log book is the best available for general logging. Uploading/Downloading to LoTW, eQsl, and HRDlog.net are great features.

I sent Simon a few bucks every year. I found it hard to believe that he didn't charge for it in the first place. Simon pushed the support back to the users and rightly so since he gave it away. However my expectation for development and support are high now that I have to pay for it. I would also like to have some input on new features

I may be in the "Country Club" set in that $80 a year and an XML subscription to QRZ is not a hardship for me.

14. KT7DAD

KT7DAD Ham Member QRZ Page

I just paid my $60...
    However. as a multi op family it is getting expensive with the needed subscription at qrz.com and HRD.
    Not expecting anything for free.
    I agree with the ones pointing out that a price reduction would increase sales and profit.
    It is better to make $30, than not make $80.
    I can see that more subscribers may increase support requests, but honestly, HRD can not demand that much support?
    I have used HRD for 3 years, and find it easy and self explaining, never needed any support.

15. WD4MYM

WD4MYM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe they will streamline the setup and have better instructions for specific radios and the various soundcards such as Signalink. At first I always got hung up and it would be one little checkbox somewhere that I forgot to tick. I never really inderstood the RTS, DTR, CTS settings although it works fine with them checked or not as long as I have those settings in my FT-950 agree with them. I assume they all relate to the rig control. I guess the various operating systems adds yet another dimension. I look forward to the new version and the improvements. I wonder if JT65 will be added?

Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.