ad: CQMM-1

HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. J85K

J85K Ham Member QRZ Page

Bundling HRD 6.0 and QRZ_XML database as a package.......

Hello Richard_W4PC,

Can you and your group consider bundling the XML database on QRZ with the HRD release 6.0?

You are a for-profit-company, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, kindly consider that there are many out there that are finding these economic times very, very challenging.
    The prior free offerings from both QRZ and HRD have kept many a ham from sad and despairing thoughts upon losing one's job. It is a sort of gentleman's social compact that this company should consider buying into. Just have a look at the wording of some QTH and QRZ ads....

Thanks and regards,

Kumar_J85K

2. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Kumar,

That's up to Fred...

I was one of those that was caught up in the economic challenge too. So I got moving and got a 6 month contract job to get us through the slow times.

I've lost many a job too, so I know the feeling, but my goal is to CREATE jobs with this venture.

Rick W4PC

3. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick,
    As far as call sign lookups/imports go, you could always set HRD up to or allow the end user to download the ULS Database like ACLog3.0 does. That would take you out of QRZ database all together and lessen the load on it.

Just an idea.....

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  4. NZ9Y

NZ9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I like HRD.

A cooperative "bundle" that discounts QRZ.coms XML database with purchase of HRD could be a win-win. You could buy your QRZ membership right through HRD or HRD from QRZ and save a few bucks.

The website and support documents aren't very confidence inspiring. I know it seems low priority but its always been that way and it is the polish that separates "professional" software from software written in the developers spare time.

Going back to the bundle idea, I'll buy HRD, but unfortunately the cost for both HRD and QRZ combined means I'll have to buy the lowest membership Fred offers that suites my operating needs, rather than the platinum level. If there was a significant discount for a bundle, I'd buy more QRZed.

I hope if people start buying lower level memberships here after shelling out for HRD that you all stay friends. Maybe it wont be an issue.

5. N0SSC

N0SSC Ham Member QRZ Page

Watch out for Fldigi ;)

I won't be buying it, it's just way to high for me. $30 would have been fine but I can't justify shelling $80, or even $60 for it. I would rather turn the knob by hand. It was always free and should continue to be, as well as continue to be supported by the hams who use it. The project is in good hands, but the price is a barrier to many. Same with MixW, LOGic and TRX-Manager.

Have they considered a monthly use fee? $5 a month, $60 per year, times who knows how much would be just as profitable IMHO.

I'll be sticking with FLdigi and/or my old copy of HRD5. Though I wish Simon was still behind HRD, I'm excited to watch the new SDR-Radio Console grow in the wake of HRD! That's the future, and it's where I want to be!

6. WD4MYM

WD4MYM Ham Member QRZ Page

I always noticed that in DM780, when you type in a callsign (and I'll use W4PC as a great example) that it will do multiple lookups on the callsign. In other words, when I start typing W...4....P...it's going to give me the info on W4P, which is listed in the QRZ.COM database. Then I'll continue to type out the last letter and it will change to the W4PC info. It would seem to save some up & downloading to just give it an extra step of pressing an "Enter" button after manually typing in a callsign. I operate JT65 often and enter the callsigns into DM780 manually often.

I also wonder why Simon is no longer running the show, could it be the underutilized "DONATE BUTTON" that I used? I'm pretty much a dummy when it comes to computers but I'll take a stab that the new and improved HRD is something of a fulltime job.

Why should anyone do work for anyone else and not get paid? Would anyone care to go to work in the morning and come home without pay? This guy still has rent, electric, water, etc. like everyone else.

Jon

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  7. KG5IDX

KG5IDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Why did they even bother to ask the Amateur community what a good price would be if they are going to jack it up. The majority that I saw claimed 30 to 40 bucks as a good price. Netflix got greedy and you see how that ended.

8. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

Especially since the last version before new ownership worked great as it was...and was free...

9. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for reminding me..... I need to go cancel Netflix.

I think $30 or $40 is a fair price........ I just installed Winders7 Home on this machine to try the new version of HRD. I don't see any difference to what I used before. I'm sure there are many changes under the hood. Unless 6 is substantially different, I don't see me making anymore than a donation based on my usage and how fat my wallet is at the time.

10. VE9ACL

VE9ACL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been in Ham Radio for since 2010. Enjoy the hobby very much. I have downloaded HRD when I first started this hobby. I also have downloaded many other softwares but always returned to HRD, seems for me it is the software I want. Now the bonus, its is free. So I have been using a free software for the last two years and learned to love it. If they come up with a price for the software, I will buy it. I rarely had the opportunity to test a software for two years before buying it, plus all my rigs are now using it.

Just my opinion,

take care

73's
    Alain
    VE9ACL

11. W5MDB

W5MDB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with Alain's assessment. For me, it's a terrific tool for the shack, but I respect others who don't want or need it. I look forward to even better features. As for the price, I've paid more for mobile antennas that give me less.
    73 Mike W5MDB

12. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

People will spend thousands on ham gear, then bitch about the software being too expensive, although less than what they pay for TV and Internet every month or two.

If you only use voice, then the software probably isn't going to matter. If you like having rig-control, digital modes, logbook, satellite tracking, rotator control, unlimited memories, remote control and more in one package, HRD is the way to go.

There are free alternatives, but it'll take several to replace HRD. I also like having a piece of software that at least looks as if it didn't crawl out of a DOS or Win 3.11 box.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it. It's too late to complain, and I'm sure we've already heard it elsewhere.

13. N0WYO

N0WYO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're the type who needs phone assistance with this, then you might be stuck paying the yearly price. As for me, I've been thinking about it and have come to this conclusion:
    I think I'll take all the free updates that are going to be offered, with thanks. Then I'll buy it in a year or two, and continue in that pattern. If you take the initial hit of 80 bucks and only upgrade every other year, it seems to me to be a more reasonable deal than upgrading every year. I don't need the support. My very first install of HRD went over without a hitch, as did this one on the new machine, with an FTDI interface replacing the serial for my new computer. I'd pay the money now while it's cheaper but as I said in a previous post, I'm having some money issues right now tied to some car trouble.

I would urge anyone who is ok with paying money for the software, but they find the price is too much to consider doing this.

14. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

Or just use the previous version that works just the same.. and is still free...????

15. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

So long as that version has everything you want and works with whatever operating system you have at the time, then there's no reason to change.

Folks are still using Windows 95 and Office '97 just fine.

I look forward to new modes and features with 6.0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.