ad: SuperQSO-1

HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

FWIW, I run HRD connected to the cluster all day long and have never had the resource problem mentioned. I also use a dedicated computer for ham applications. I'm running windows 7 64 bit.

.........Bob

2. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

For the JT65 fans, Joe Large and I have a nice lunch today and are preceeding forward.

He's a great guy and deserves alot for what his done with ham radio.

Details later.

3. KH2D

KH2D Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Bob. I'm using XP. Maybe it's because I have the skimmers turned on, which generates the volume of spots you'd normally see on a contest weekend.

I left the logbook/cluster running for about 10 hours last night, nothing running but the logbook after a reboot and when I checked back the computer was sluggish and the HRD was using 50% of the CPU. Disconnecting from the cluster made the CPU immediately go back to zero. Only thing I can figure is that the program is doing something with all the spots it gets, maybe it's saving them in an access table, I dunno....

http://kh2d.net/hrd.jpg

Weird Science maybe :)

73, Jim KH2D

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

C++ has The memory problem, C# should not.

C Sharp may take more memory but C# memory management is better.

A Dedicated computer is the way to go.

Don.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  5. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've not weighed in on this since I think there is too much adolescent discussion on HRD now requiring you to pay for it. But for me, on several different computer, using several different types of interfaces, I have never had any of the issues people are complaining about. HRD has been stable and not the resource hog many have said. The only time I had an issue with HRD was due to an misbehaving anti-virus dll. It was resolved in the next release of the Anti-Virus software! Here's a list:

Computers: Homebrew based in a Pentium 5 with 1 Gig of memory (HRD4.X), Win2K, and XP and real serial interface
    Dell OptiPlex GX680 using XP Pro and 2Gb of memory and real serial interface
    Dell OptiPlex GX740 using XP Pro and Win 7 Enterprise and 4 Gb of memory and real serial interface
    Homebrew i7-950 using Win 7 Enterprise and 12Gb of memory
    Homebrew i7-960 using Win 7 Enterprise and 12Gg of memory
    IBM Laptop with Win XP Pro, 2Gb of memory

Interfaces: Real Icom CT-17 connected to real; serial ports
    Serial Cable with a Belden USB to Serial adapter
    Serial Cable with a Staples USB to Serial adapter
    microHam Station Master
    microHam microKeyer II
    microHam USB III

I begin to wonder how many issues with HRD is hardware related and beyond the scope of the application developer (whether Simon or Rick and team) to consider or accommodate? Yes, systems are supposed to be standard. And for the most part they are. But given the plethora of combinations of operating systems and service pack levels, anti-malware (all varieties), spyware, etc, not to mention hardware, hardware drivers written in a 3rd world sweatshop and all the other combinations of user level settings, configuring and other errors how can anyone balk at paying for help? Most of the errors I read about on the Zed forums and the Yahoo group are user level setting, or unfamiliarity issues.

HRD has been, for me at least, an amazing help in the shack. Like having a dedicated second operator. I was sending Simon $100 for the software every year, and yes in the last year I was beginning to wonder what I was getting for my continued payments and support. So the requirement to pay $60 at this time is more than acceptable to me. The software in my environments (yes, I have multiple radios and multiple computers using a single MySQL log database via a computer network) is highly stable, does not load the system down, and is a tremendous performance enhancing drug for my ham radio playtime.

6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Your first two words contradict the last three.

7. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you use the alarm functions? I can make the logbook with cluster running bring my computer to a crawl if I activate a giant filter (I need 100 countries on 4 bands) If i activate those 4 filters, my computer comes to a halt every 10 seconds or so for 3 seconds. That computer is a core2duo at 2ghz, 4gb of ram. I tried the same thing on a 3ghz core2duo, 6gb of ram, and experienced the same thing.

If its just the logbook and cluster running slowing your computer down at somepoint after many hours sans large alrms, I think you have a computer issue, not a HRD issue.

One computer was windows 7 64, the other was windows vista 64.

With that being said, if they "fixed" the slow down, it still would not be worth 80 dollars, vs. free. If they wanted 80 dollars from me it would need that, jt65, free integration with qrz, remote audio without a 3rd party application, contest specific logging options, the option for easy rotator automation by selecting a cluster spot, and auto integration and upload to clublog. As it is now I can do all of those things with a few extra steps.

8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no real problems running DM780, logbook and the main HRD rig control application on a modest laptop plus FireFox etc at the same time. The only thing I've noticed is that DM780 completely dominates the computer when it's transmitting. It prevents you from switching away from it but I think that's intentional to maintain accurate timing.

9. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not have that problem. Sounds like a lack of resources from your computer.

10. KH2D

KH2D Ham Member QRZ Page

No alarms. I hate loud noises in the middle of the night.

One filter; 40 meters, 7.000 to 7.100. Doesn't seem like that should slow stuff down.

Don't have JT65. What is JT65, sounds like jet fuel maybe?

Don't have a rotor, only a dipole. I'd need a big rotor to turn the tree it's up in.

I already have integration with QRZ.com. It's called Firefox.

N1MM has contest software, or so I've heard. I don't do contests anymore cuz nobody wants a QSL card from Florida.

I just need a log and some cluster spots so I can werk sum Deeeee-X.

Maybe it's a Windows problem. I'll uninstall Windows tonite and see if it works better without it.

I'm starting to wonder something. Maybe somebody can clue me in on this thought. Are most people actually using HRD to werk sum Deeee-X or are most people using HRD just interested in playing with a computer program? Like that DX University Contest Stimulator program on the Commodore 64.....

73, Jim KH2D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.