ad: elecraft

HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that it is peoples nature to look at the bad side of everything, Not the good.

HRD has done good for many Hams over the years.

Too bad people are having such a hard time saying something good about it.

I do have a HDTV, But I find it hard to find something worth watching.

2. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

So....in your world if you don't spend riduclous amounts of money on rigs, antennas, computer software your not a real ham and "need to leave the hobby"? This from a guy who's been "in the hobby" all of five years. Take a whif of what your shoveling.

3. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I was just beginning to use HRD when the news came thru that there would be a cost. Mostly I liked the cool look of a monitor but my TS-2000 has all manner of buttons and knobs and I can get the job done easily sans a PC; not to mention all that extra electricity. My main interest was in using HRD for digital and I have just started to play with that but will likely now switch to some other software. I don't need the logging feature (paper and pencil here) so would like to see some decent literature (or the instruction manual) to see what else this software can do for me. The idea of paying every year is silly (Bill Gates once wanted to do that). When I buy a hammer, I don't expect to pay for the tool every year. When I buy software, I'll buy updates if they seem worth it. The only software worth paying for annually would include security software. Kenwood does not ask me for additional payments for my radio every year, and I won't be buying a ham radio program that expires at some point.

4. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

That means you don't know any Geeks.

5. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

In all fairness to the fella you quote, I did more in my first five years in the hobby than many have done their entire lives. The tenure doesn't have much to do with experience. As I said earlier, just because you drove a million miles over the past 30 years, it doesn't make you all-knowing behind the wheel.

For less than a few hundred dollars, you can have a hobby that will last you a lifetime without investing another dime into gear, software, etc.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  6. K2NCC

Or perhaps not the geeks you hang out with. I see 100s of computer techs every month. It's my livelyhood. Many have played with Linux, but few run it as a primary O/S. Basically another computer cult like Apple or Commodore users.

Anyway, this is best for another thread.

7. K7PT

K7PT Guest

8. K7PT

K7PT Guest

9. K7PT

K7PT Guest

oops!!! Sorry for the dupe. QRZ

10. KA9JLM

Fast or Reliable

Also a Gamer is different than a Geek. Gamers need the Graphics, Real Programmers need the Reliability.

Lets not compare a Walnut and a Pecan. They are close in many ways, but their are Big Differences.

Super fast Graphics Cards should not be needed for HRD to work properly.

Reliability means a lot more than speed. Unless you like Fast for a short period of time.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  11. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

After reading your post I agree. I temporarily let the appliance operator get the best of me.

12. KA9JLM

LOL

Sometimes I can not get the Appliance to operate.

Then I use Linux.

13. K2NCC

I didn't say anything about gamers. I play, but wouldn't call myself one. "Real programmers" aren't the only ones that need reliability. We all do of course.

"Super fast" for HRD? No, but if you're using on-board graphics, you'll suffer for it. A discrete graphics card (sound card, NIC, etc.) takes the load off the CPU. Performance in everyday activities are benefited by such hardware.

Besides, I'd like to do more than just play radio when I have the computer on. I can be playing an HD movie or video game on one screen, while watching the waterfall and QSOs on the other.

Anyway. You're not a "real" geek anyway, so you don't know what you're talking about. So there. ha. Take that.

(Yes, this thread has gotten that boring...)

14. KA9JLM

Really tho,

It is nice that the Moderators let us Ramble on even if some comments do not follow the original subject.

And I do Thank the Moderators for that. Free speech is a good thing.

It really boils down to how the new version of HRD will work after it is converted to use the MSVS.

That is yet to be seen.

From what I can tell V 5.1 is not yet converted over.

Converting over is going to open a new can of worms.

Can_Of_Worms.jpg

15. K2NCC

Everything is good with some hot sauce on it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.