HRD concerns

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5XO, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. N5XO

N5XO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone else seen these articles regarding HRD? If these articles are correct then, this is out right extortion. Curious what others have heard, I do not use it, as I am a Macintosh user and fan of MACLogger. But I refer folks to HRD often and do not want to, if this is the behavior of the company.

The Register reports on the story of Jim Giercyk, an amateur radio enthusiast who had his copy of the popular Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) software revoked after posting a negative review. Other radio hams have followed up with us regarding claims that this was not an isolated incident and others may have had their license keys blacklisted for being publicly critical of the company. And just to be clear: by blackballing keys, installed copies of the software stop working.

Giercyk, a professional musician in South Carolina, U.S., says that after his dealings with HRD Software (which has since reinstated his software key) and the statement made by the developer's co-owner Dr Michael Carper, he takes issue with claims made by the company. Giercyk, aka N2SUB, told us on Tuesday: "The issue is not the refusal of service, the issue is that HRD disabled my software, and then offered to enable it in exchange for the removal of an online review of their product. It's extortion, not refusal of service." Giercyk also said that since he went public about his blacklisting last week, he has received messages from other users who have stories of their software keys being revoked by HRD without their knowledge for speaking up about having a bad support experience.

A number of other readers pointed out a collection of bad reviews posted on hobbyist site eHam by customers who had their license keys blacklisted. HRD told us some of those users could have written their assessments after requesting a refund and deactivating their software, thus their licenses will appear revoked. Meanwhile, Reddit threads and follow-up discussions to Giercyk's catalyst forum post reveal similar stories of keys being revoked after critical comments about Ham Radio Deluxe have appeared online. Other sources allege some amateur radio forums have in the past deleted posts critical of HRD.

https://radio.slashdot.org/story/16...-for-leaving-negative-reviews?sdsrc=popbyskid

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/21/amateur_radio_fans_drop_hammer_on_hrds_blacklist/

2. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd reply but don't want to lose my HRD

WD4IGX, K1FBI, KA9JLM and 1 other person like this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty old news, but yeah. I hope that all has been made good since then.

WU8Y and K2HAT like this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have concerns about HRD, check out some of the open-source and/or free software alternatives. Fldigi is one of the many that comes to mind. If I remember correctly, much of the original modem code in DM780 came from Fldigi, and it may still be that way.

The open source philosophy is much more consistent with ham radio -- people contributing to helping others advance the radio art in an open and extensible way.

W4IOA likes this.
  5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Old news. But glad you're awake now.

K0MB and NK2U like this.
  6. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I predict a colossal collision of trains....

Ed

WU8Y likes this.
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think about all of us followed it nearly a year ago.

Mike has the problem under control now. :)

K2HAT likes this.
  8. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

9. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember this. It's scary to think how close it came to military action. Missiles were locked and loaded, pointed at HRD's license server.

After some thought, it was realized that this would take out the whole data center and disable all the other HRD users too.

Cooler heads prevailed. A diplomatic solution was reached and there was a change of regime at HRD.

WZ7U and K6FNI like this.
  10. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah I heard about that HRD fiasco a while ago. Lots of very angry people over that one.

I have a simple solution though.

Google

HRD 5.24 and download the latest version. That would be HRD 5.24.38. It is the last free version they ever released. It works just fine.