HR2.0 - YouTubers Bunch Discusses the ARRL, Part 2

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Dec 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No Frank. First hand info. Post --Misters Lisenco and Imlay. Mr. Sidall is doing a great job; agreed.

The board abandoned the bill, circa Spring 2019 or earlier. The assumption was it would die in Congress and then a new bill, from a re-write, would be proposed in the next session.

You are incorrect Frank.

You need to speak to one or more of the present directors.

My point is that I assume, and you should assume, everyone appreciates your efforts, it just was the wrong bill to push, and a new (future) bill, from appropriate NEW wording , will be the latest version of the ARPA in the next Congress. The various attorneys have and are working on that at the ARRL. Includes attorney board members.

At this point we are agreeing and both see the path.

Best of holidays to you and your family:)

Chip W1YW

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

And 90 % of those 80% don't affiliate with ANY ham radio organization.

And 70% of those 80% NEVER GET ON THE AIR (OTA) --EVEN once!!

So your projection that there is a huge population of US hams that the ARRL does not represent is a silly smokecreen for a far more sobering reality: A huge majority of US hams( read: Techs) don't use Part 97 privileges.

Ever :-(

Getting them radio-active is job #1 for fellow hams and the ARRL. The Youtubers address this issue, which is a good thing, even if no real 'solutions' are yet posed. Its very important to talk about it.

Its very important to TALK to the Techs and see what gets THEM talking. If you ever see me at hamfests, that a big part of what I do. Yep. An old guy worrying about the future generations.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  3. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Chip,

I stand by my comments as to how the Senate bill died. That was BEFORE the present Directors were elected. Reread my comments: the President and my Director on the Saturday before the following Wednesday markup session supported the CAI-Lisenco/Imlay version! I told Wicker’s office on Monday that as the constituent who requested that he submit the original bill in the Senate, I could no longer support it. He pulled it on Tuesday, to the total shock of the President and my Director. The Board at-large, and none of the new Directors, were even aware of this action! Your “current” Board contacts were not even in the loop on this activity over a three day period. (If you’re not experienced in Congressional lobbying, this is where a bill is in agreement with the key committee in both the House and Senate and a markup group from each puts the final touch ups to the wording.) The Board reconnoitered to “what now”? There was no Plan B as per multiple Board members of that October. None. New Board members were just getting to know the staff in Newington. So their insight was distant of what actually happened.

Now, you can still not accept this narrative to maintain your “in the know” stance but that’s simply your hard-headedness. I’ve been involved in lobbying and advising members of the House and Senate on various policy issues and held Sec of Agriculture Advisory Committee appointments twice over the past four decades. The League fell victim to their K Street lobbying firm’s pitch that only “they” could get ARPA through Congress. Every K Street firm sells that line. That’s how they make their living. Frank McCarthy’s firm is no different. But strategic constituents to members of the a House and Senate often have more influence. The past and “current” Board, the majority of whom are the same people, ignore the fact that there are politically strategic members in each State who can be as or more influential as their high ticket lobbying firms (e.g., https://www.opensecrets.org/federal-lobbying/clients/summary?cycle=2019&id=D000047011).

To further give you the 411, the current approach is not scheduled to even involve Congress. There are more attorneys in addition to Mr. Sidall involved which is proving to be an issue in getting the current document completed.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and enjoy your own views from “current” Board members. I’ll keep what I directly experienced. As a ham living in an HOA, I look forward to some positive movement on a PRB-style ruling for HOA community residents.

Frank
    K4FMH
    ARRL Assistant Director, Delta Division

NN4RH likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This board has vastly more experience on antenna matters than much of the prior board members.

The poorly worded extant ARPA draft was the reason, based on my attorney's recommendation (about likely exposure CREATED from the wording), that I did not build a superstation outside of E-Town KY on my 500 acre farm: that station was intended, in part, to be a free 'remote' site for ARRL members, something that was likely, but now is less probable, to be common in 10 years (for ARRL members I predicted) with that one intended to be the start. I had also intended another remote site in Wyoming.

Too bad. Remotes with a premium League membership would have been a great way for Techs to get OTA , or at least try, HF (especially if we grant them more HF privileges) .

Nope. Dead.

Asking my neighbors, who share various contracts on roads, rights of way, trash, and so on, to suddenly judge antennas, heights, etc, was beyond stupid. I don't buy into the BS that that was an 'extreme ' interpretation. Nonsense. BAD wording invoked unintended-- but real-- meaning outside the intended scope.

Given my advancing age I won't be revisiting those options. And the funds have been invested in a recording studio, with happy and already measureable returns.

Perhaps as the League moves forward on the next ARPA bill, it will get outside counsel(s) to read the language first--and understand what the words MEAN to (IMO) more experienced telecom attorneys-- before pushing it on the House.

73 and HNY,
    Chip W1YW

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no idea whatza 411. Sounds like you mean 'to provide you more information'....

6. K4FMH

Yea, I guess you’re not lit on current Internet lingo. To help get you woke, the 411 is information that is valid. Use Google on what “lit” and “woke” mean, homey. Lol

7. K4FMH

Hmm, you quoted my reply but your comments have little to no connection to it. Yes, most are aware of Hopgarten’s book, published criticism of the CAI-driven Imlay-Lisenco wording, and his election to the ARRL Board. I was against it, too, so I git my Senator to pull it from mark-up. No Board member involved or informed until I let my Director know after the fact when I resigned as Assistant Director. Later, I received an apology from multiple Board members and last January accepted reappointment to that Delta Division position. I’m much more impressed with the current Board and, especially, CEO Michel.

Carry on...

Frank

W1YW likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I confess my interest in deviations from standard English are limited (and limiting!) to the silliness that guitarists use. For example, their use of the words 'tone', and 'sick' and 'fat' (sic. 'phat') have so many variants you have to get them to be sufficiently articulate otherwise to discern the nuance and context.

I apologize, but 411, woke, lit, and so on, won't be entering my vocabulary with those meanings. I just don't anticipate using them in the coming years;-)

Absolutely nothing personal.

Of course, you may choose to combine any formants you want and ascribe their meaning , just don't assume all will follow the trail accurately.

Chip W1YW

9. K4FMH

Chip,

You don’t converse with young people, it sounds like. My 40 years as a professor has required me to stay tuned to those younger than me. Most people seem to understand me.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty funny:)!

I am always amused when people 'project' themselves on ME.

No Frank. You are just incorrect on this.

Thanks for assuming I am mommy's little basement dweller;-)

We should compare notes someday on how our various students-- FROM BEING A PROFESSOR-- ended up.

Hmmm.. is two years old young enough for you? Six? 19? How about 22? 32? 45? These are typical ages of people I typically see and/or work with on a daily basis, of about, say, 50. I'd like to say they 'keep me young' but the fact is I don't feel old.

You may be too darned old for me to chat with Frank. I have an aversion to ossification, and I fear some 'oldsters' are so "bonied",'bro. Not sure where you stand there....(BTW, that's how some young people refer to 'boomers': you can teach it to your CLASSES as EDGY new SLANG for their daily use!)

For your philological bent, 'ossification' is the pejorative provenance of 'bonied'.

Capiche?

Chip W1YW