ad: elecraft

HR2.0 - Yaesu FTDX-10 Menu and Feature Overview with W9FFF

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Apr 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

New from Yaesu, the FTDX-10 HF Transceiver - today I've invited Sean, W9FFF, from the Ham Radio Dude channel to go though all of the menu selections of this radio and talk about several of its features along with items we would like to see improved upon.

Special Thanks to R&L Electronics for the use of this loaner radio - http://hr2.li/nm9ej

Ham Radio Dude's Channel - https://www.youtube.com/hamradiodude

KO4ESA, KD5BVX, PA0WJG and 3 others like this.
  2. KG5TON

KG5TON Ham Member QRZ Page

I just watched this entire video. My 991A is safe for now. I would like the DVI out for an external display though. Icom wants 3 grand for that luxury.

KO4ESA, PY2NEA, AA5BK and 2 others like this.
  3. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

CW-U=USB CW, CW-L=CW LSB....DUH!

W5ZZ, KO4ESA, PY2NEA and 4 others like this.
  4. W4RTW

W4RTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Three grand for the FTdx-10? Did you mean the FTdx-101?

KO4ESA likes this.
  5. KG5TON

KG5TON Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m talking about an Icom IC-7610. It’s about 3k and has a DVI out for external monitor. If Icom has a cheaper radio with video out, please let me know.

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Just get a PTRX-7300 and add to your 7300 to get those shiny objects on the big screen. $200 or so nnd you have a pretty easy solution.

KO4ESA, K0UO, KD2ZZJ and 1 other person like this.
  7. KC5HWB

The IC-7000 had it. I'm surprised that was a feature they dropped on later models.

KO4ESA and K0UO like this.
  8. WD5GWY

WD5GWY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The 7000 has a composite video output. Low resolution and refresh rate.
    Not bad for basic display. But, useless for a spectrum display which a lot of folks like ( including me ) .
    I have a 7000 and external monitor. Works well for what it is.
    James
    WD5GWY

KO4ESA, KC5HWB and KT5OT like this.
  9. KC5HWB

Right but at least it had video-out. The radio itself didn't have a spectrum so no need for a fancy hi-res spectrum display video out. But the point I was making is that I don't understand why they dropped video out on that specific line of radios.

WD5GWY likes this.
  10. WD5GWY

WD5GWY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think part of the reason may be because there are not that many displays with a composite video input. More modern displays have HDMI and other inputs that would add too much extra cost to a radio like the 7100 for instance.
    James
    WD5GWY

KO4ESA and KC5HWB like this.
  11. K9AT

K9AT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Sean...making the big time with a famous YouTuber.

K9AT

KO4ESA, AA5BK and W9FFF like this.
  12. G0OGS

G0OGS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just get a SDR transceiver and have done with it.

KO4ESA likes this.
  13. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IMHO, Icom makes a superior/higher quality HF radio that is more intuitive than Yaesu or Kenwood. Glad to see this video is not as goofy as your ad for it.

If you have the experience; I'd like to see you make a video about taking a Motorola [R2] radio, hacking it and aligning it in the 70 cm analog/DMR band. I'd venture there are a lot of hams out there that like the idea of Motorola radios, but lack the basic knowledge.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    KO4ESA and K0UO like this.
  14. KC5HWB

Overall I agree about Icom vs Yaesu, but this model impressed me.

I have hacked an XPR6580 and XPR4580 and added them to the 900MHz Ham Band. Also did the same with some high-UHF repeaters and radios to get them down below 450MHz. I am not familiar with the R2

KO4ESA likes this.
  15. KC5HWB

They could have easily updated it to DVI, which also isn't "current" technology, but it would at least give the option for video out. The IC-7610 and this Yaesu are both stuck on DVI-out, so the IC-7300 should have had that to offer, imo.

KO4ESA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.