ad: chuckmartin

HR2.0 - Yaesu FT5DR System Fusion Handheld Ham Radio with John Kruk

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Sep 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. It is interesting to see the ranges he gets with 2m/6m SSB on 5w with his 818. I never did much with VHF when I had an 817, so I missed out on that. That's the only time I wish I had kept my 817.

I've been making 6m EFHWs that pack up really small (as in pocketable). They are intended to work vertically on FM with my VX-7, but my buddy uses the one I gave him on SSB by hanging it horizontally (or more accurately, by hanging it vertically then pulling it to roughly horizontal via the feedline). It works great and he's made contacts from VA all the way down to Florida.

Chris

K8XG and N1IPU like this.
  2. NN6D

NN6D Ham Member QRZ Page

John Kruk in an interview with Bob K6UDA said that the reason why they can't put a diplexer in the ft5 is because vocoders take too much room and it's all due to size !

I'm not kidding, listen for yourself!
    <- cued for you @ 1:00:15

These are the words of yaesu's "representative" !!!
    he said it with a straight face too !!!

[​IMG]

and I bet ya there are folks who actually believe that...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    N4CAX, KD2TUD, K8XG and 2 others like this.
  3. N4CAX

N4CAX Ham Member QRZ Page

YAAAY More garbage content.

KT5OT, WN1MB and N3FAA like this.
  4. N0KEW

N0KEW BANNED QRZ Page

Man. The zed really needs yet another front page article on this HT.

WN1MB, KD2TUD, K2XT and 4 others like this.
  5. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They went up $50 , they are now $399 instead of $349/$359 a week ago and many places are out of stock already and why the price jump up.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  6. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. I have to download manuals for radios onto an iPad so I can take advantage of "all the features" which most of the time is just trying to remember how to set tones for repeaters in an area that I have traveled to. What I would like to see is a feature that would maybe incorporate an internet function that would allow you to download data for an area directly onto your radio without having to purchase programming software. When you are in that area you could automatically have all the repeater data load onto your radio. Perhaps some of these radios do this but I just never made it past page 300 in the manual.

K8XG and N1IPU like this.
  7. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

^RFFinder radio does that. ~$899-999, but it also doubles as a android smart phone which explains why it can.

KC5HWB likes this.
  8. N0KEW

N0KEW BANNED QRZ Page

I think yaesu knows they messed up this time. That’s why we are seeing 18 front page articles from this thing all at once.

KT5OT and N3FAA like this.
  9. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought they did but between the cost and the fact that my current phone platform is iPhone, it would be a bit expensive for just a fancy handi-talkie. I like the idea though.

K8XG and KC5HWB like this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly where in the video? I'm not willing to commit over an hour of my life to finding that excerpt of the video - especially considering my allergy to K6UDA jabber.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    N3FAA likes this.
  11. DM1AZ

DM1AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

NN6D mentioned the time stamp in his post. it is @ 1:00:15 in the video where he is talking about the vocoder room problem etc.

12. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh for goodness sake! THERE it is! Way off to the bottom right of the video frame! :confused:

Sheesh! Thanks for being gentle with the Clue Bat, friend!

DM1AZ likes this.
  13. DM1AZ

DM1AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

very welcome, buddy! It was a bit displaced, true :D

14. KI5AIU

KI5AIU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You do know that Yaesu provides the programing software free for several of their radios, right? From their website you can download programmers for FT70, FT2DR. FT3DR, FT5DR, FTM100, FTM300 and FTM-400. There may be others. Just go to the radio's page, click on Files, and check at the bottom of the list. Has the same ADMS names as RTSystems and the same interface. The copyright is Yaesu Munsen. Where appropriate, they work with cable or micro SD card.

You can get Chirp for free, and it has the ability to download repeater callsigns, frequencies and tones at no charge. You can change the format to cut/paste into the Yaesu programmers. Do this before you leave and program your repeaters in advance. I think you have 1000 memory locations. You can always use another micro SD card for the trip.

If you use an Android phone, you can download the RepeaterBook application which will show you repeaters within a specified radius of your GPS location. With the BlueCat accessory (see eBay), you can push repeater information directly into FT857/891 FTM100/300 (and maybe 400) units via the bluetooth CAT adapter.

Bottom line, you don't have to buy any programming software unless you want to.

Don KI5AIU

15. GRIMM2021

GRIMM2021 QRZ Member

Good Bluetooth, USB cable programming and recharging, SSB, better batteries, better UIs, the list of what could be improved goes on and on.

Meh, these HTs are a dying breed anyway. The future is software based radios. What the form factor of a portable will look like is the question.