ad: Mountaingoat-1

HR2.0 - What Got You Into Ham Radio? | YouTubers Bunch #7

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Jan 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In this 7th installment of the YouTubers Bunch, we welcome W6RIP Radio Adventures, DX Commander and TheSmokinApe. Today we talk about what got us into Ham Radio - how did it all start? Join in the discussion with the comments below and the Premiere that will post on this video on 1/9/2020!

WA3TVH likes this.
  2. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

In middle school a teacher held after-school Novice License and CW classes. After earning the license the local ham club loaned me a 40 meter transmitter and receiver. I strung a dipole between the chimney and a tree in the back yard and the rest is history. That was around 1976 and my call was WA6YGS.

KI7OQF likes this.
  3. KG5TON

KG5TON Ham Member QRZ Page

Callum McCormick - 06:33-11:54

KI7OQF likes this.
  4. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Bonjours les amis OM,
    1948 J'ai construit mon poste à Galène,
    1950, mon émetteur récepteur avec une 3S4 !
    1951, émetteur avec une 6l6.
    1958, formation radio.technicien.
    2003 terminé ma carrière en micro électronique.
    2004 Licence de radio amateur classe 1
    2018, déplacement en Normandie avec mon fils Pierre HB9FWY avec un camion GMC +Shelter SCR-399 alimenté avec un générateur PE-95G de 1943... la boucle est faite et la suite est assurée. 73 Chris HB9EPC.

KI7OQF likes this.
  5. KB7AA

KB7AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Started at 13, as a consummate SWL, and still am! Got my novice after 26 yrs, but still love to listen. LUV this hobby, and glad to live to the modern technology!
    73, Jerry KB7AA

KI7OQF and ZS6AKW like this.
  6. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

And one day, we may even have females appearing in more videos. You're lucky to find one online...

7. KG5TON

KG5TON Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm down with YL Raisa.

KI7OQF likes this.
  8. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Probably not. Just like coin collecting, car mechanics and growing beards... there are hobbies that just don't interest a lot of women.

G8FYK and VE3NMX like this.
  9. ZS6AKW

ZS6AKW Ham Member QRZ Page

My dad was a SWL from an early age and he used to repair all the local HAM's gear and assist with antennas, field days etc. So I was introduced to the amazing world of the SWL from the age of about 9, (used to take 2x value radios rx with the one and find the oscillating freq with the other, thus I was able to listen to USB / LSB on an AM radio HI HI) then CB radio's took hold of me from the age of 12 onwards. I only got the courage to study and get my ticket Oct 2018 (32 years later after being introduced to the hobby) #slowlearner HI HI

10. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello OM friends,
    1948 I built my post in Galena,
    1950, my transceiver with a 3S4!
    1951, transmitter with a 6l6.
    1958, radio.technician training.
    2003 ended my career in micro electronics.
    2004 Class 1 amateur radio license
    2018, trip to Normandy with my son Pierre HB9FWY with a GMC + Shelter SCR-399 truck powered by a PE-95G generator from 1943 ... the loop is made and the rest is assured. 73 Chris HB9EPC.

KI7OQF likes this.
  11. WB0DVM

WB0DVM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ten years old, late in the winter of 67-68. On a boring, gray Sunday afternoon, I picked up an issue of Boy's Life that was lying on the coffee table. I'd read through it several times already. This time, I was attracted to an article because it had a drawing of a tornado on the first page. Initially, I was disappointed because it turned out to have nothing to do with tornadoes at all. Entitled "Hamming It Up", I read it anyway. Then several more times. By suppertime I was hooked and it was off to the races. Hayseed Tom - WBØDVM

12. KI7OQF

KI7OQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I was at the RC store asking about FPV, in order to use the power I want, a HAM lic is reqired.
    Then I went to change Crystal's in these industrial radios. They said Ham lic recomended.
    So I got my lic.....

Two months later,, ordered an HT, now I have 30 foot antenna in the front yard.

KC5HWB likes this.
  13. KI7OQF

KI7OQF Ham Member QRZ Page

This morning on the Western Reflector open forum, mostly ladies checked in....

KC5HWB and MW1CFN like this.
  14. KW5Q

KW5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I was introduced to ham radio by my high school physics teacher. I studied code by listening to W1AW. I got up to 25wpm and took my extra test in Omaha NE. The test was administered by a travelling FCC examiner from the Kansas City office. I got my extra class license on July 19 1965 and have been an extra ever since.

KC5HWB likes this.