ad: Sussex-1

HR2.0 - Planning for Winter Field Day 2023!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Jan 18, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Today I welcome some of the folks from the Winter Field Day Board to come onto the Livestream and talk about this year's Winter Field Day plans, rules, and event ideas. Check their website below, and let me know if you plan to participate this year!

Website https://www.winterfieldday.com

KG5AHJ, W4BTH, KQ1V and 1 other person like this.
  2. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll be there in spirit, Jason; however, I'll really be in the warm shack operating CW!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    KC5HWB likes this.
  3. N4DJT

N4DJT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

the best way to do winter field day
    a-cozy.jpg

K1LGQ, DO9YY, N8JJM and 2 others like this.
  4. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here-here, well said! I mean, have fun but I'll really enjoy my warm shack and hot coffee... yeah I know where my bread is buttered!

Something in the hobby for everyone!

N7KO and KC5HWB like this.
  5. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HAHA! Nothing wrong with that!

N7KO and KQ1V like this.
  6. AC7S

AC7S Ham Member QRZ Page

Ag7gp and my self will be operating K7O so. Oregon first time for me !!

N7KO likes this.
  7. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes a hardy bunch for sure, Ham On Ham On.

8. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The best field day is when you have a camp Fire, Cigar, Whiskey, and a S-0 noise floor.

KN6VYP, KQ1V, PD0MUX and 3 others like this.
  9. KI5VIG

KI5VIG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Me and my son KI5YQL will be operating from our travel trailer at Mustang Island State Park from Friday until Monday! We'll double dip Winter Field Day with POTA. Our intention is to power the radio with batteries, solar, or generator only. We'll see how it goes!

N2YCH likes this.
  10. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I like that, Learn CW and shut up ha ha. Winter field day started out as a time to get out away from your home and simulate an emergency radio station conditions, using emergency portable power and a portable antenna, and pass information to whom you are making contact with.

And to get more people interested they came up with the point system which turns it into a contest. If you have five dogs and five chunks of meat laying out I can assure you it will be a contest between the Dog each trying to gather as many chunks of meat as possible.

I like what the Gentleman said, He recognizes that Winter Field Day is about Passing information during a simulated emergency situation, something to that effect, and He would like for operators to make contacts and have some sort of an exchange, you heard him saying it, Also My words now, it is or should be about being able to make contacts and discovering where your signal is getting out also giving each of us a place to hone our skills as Radio Men.

I enjoy CW, I can not tell you why, you CW operators know why. My CW skills is far from being good, but I do well enough to send an emergency message and copy back at 17 wpm, I am not saying I do not get nervous and do not make mistakes, I do, and for me this is why Winter Field day is important to me.

As many of us know the first day of any contest is filled with operators that are their for the big prize, and as far as CW goes many that are using CW mode is doing it from a keyboard sending and copying faster and sending faster than they can copy, depending on a computer software to do the work for them.

So us brass pounders do not take the first hours or the first day very serious until the keyboards have brung in the prizes and retire until the next contest, and at that time is when brass pounders get serious to find out where they are being heard and to have some meaningful exchanges, and yes some of us still mail out paper QSO cards.

And thank you Gentlemen for the good information and for expressing what winter field day should be about.

d

KD8ZM and W9EBE like this.
  11. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good, what modes?

AC7S likes this.
  12. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Not far from my hometown Grants pass, have fun Good luck

13. K4KKC

K4KKC Ham Member QRZ Page

W4M https://www.qrz.com/db/W4M will be operating WFD from the Southernmost Station registered on the WFD site. Whiskey Cigars and good times.

14. W9AWX

W9AWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Will be operating PSK, RTTY, and SSB from home outside of Milwaukee, WI.

AC7S likes this.
  15. AC7S

AC7S Ham Member QRZ Page

Ty hope to work u