ad: QSLWorks-1

HR2.0 - Orlando Hamcation 2022 | Ham Radio Hamfest Planning and What To Expect

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hear, hear! I have ignored the majority of YouTubers on the forum, yet their posts still appear on the front page. I think if paid subscribers started walking and taking their money with them, you would see change here real fast. I subscribe because I see value in the call sign database, forum, Classifieds, etc., but the front page has, unfortunately, become nothing more than one giant ad for the YouTubers. Not interested.

KJ4BFH, G3SEA, KE0GXN and 10 others like this.
  2. K7CB

K7CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You won't find links (I like your word to describe them - ads) for YouTubers on eHam and maybe there's a reason for that.

G3SEA, KE0GXN, N3FAA and 4 others like this.
  3. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

I just criticized the thumbnail pages of this channel, it's a nervousing experience (just like going to the dentist), I don't have problems with monetization of some contents - at least in theory.

But it is really part of the problem that this is by far the largest ham forum, there are a lot of highly valuable posts and comments from highly educated and experienced hams for sure, there is a lot of work in the background on the forum maintainers side, too, but it looks from the main page that nothing's edited or cared of it.

K3RW likes this.
  4. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can't we all just get along?

You guys pay for QRZ?! What on earth do you get out of it?

MW1CFN likes this.
  5. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

And strangely, I paid and I'm a volunteer!

I know we've been busy, but YouTube became one of the planet's great resources for videos. It's an empire. As it's competitive in different ways, the quality of the videos is better than most people might guess.

But this thread is about Orlando. I'm actually thinking of going for the first time, having been a loyal Dayton goer, and yes, volunteer there.

Please move the topic back to the Orlando HamCation.

73 Tom W9YW

2E0TWD and KD5BVX like this.
  6. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

XML data subscription that exports files / syncs well with other 3rd party amateur radio software suites and websites.

KE0GXN, KQ1V and KK9W like this.
  7. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I love this website, and I am glad it is free for what I use it for.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Its (HAMCATION) great fun, Tom. Wish I could join you and trade W-YW cards!

W9YW likes this.
  9. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

The poor guy does not even understand the proper way to calibrate an Analog Wattmeter.He does not care where the meter starts as long as it shows the proper reading on the output.He did not appreciate me pointing it out either but he says he's Teaching others in his videos yet he has no room for learning of his own so he just does it his way.We should teach the proper way not our way if our way is WRONG.Just ask him & see what he tells you.LOL ;););)

Clayton
    W4KVW

KJ4BFH, G3SEA, K4WH and 5 others like this.
  10. K0DUC

K0DUC Ham Member QRZ Page

Beyond the annoying preview pictures for these videos, I also lament the lack of experience many of these "enthusiastic" video makers have. More get up and go to make videos without seeming to always understand the subject. Some Youtubers now what they are talking about, and others seem to flounder a bit. But that is not restricted to radio, there are many subjects that have their fair share of inexperienced people giving tips.

I remember I watched a video of his about the Alinco 85 watt transceiver, and remember he blamed a power drop to 50 watts on some 'SWR change because of frequency' when in truth the rig will drop power when it gets hot (which it does get very quickly with use).

Perhaps he will learn and his expertise will catch up to his enthusiasm for making videos. We can certainly hope.

G3SEA, WN1MB, N3FAA and 6 others like this.
  11. W1VKE

W1VKE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have learned a lot from watching YouTube videos, but I have found that the ones with the person's goofy picture that is bigger than the topic of the video are seldom worth me watching. I'll stick to Julian OH8STN and Thomas K4SWL who let the content they cover do the talking.

W4FDT, N4CAX, G3SEA and 8 others like this.
  12. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

The same quote applies here as to the cheap Chinese products... it's not bad considering the price. ;)

W4KVW likes this.
  13. KK3Q

KK3Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess scroll on by if you don't like a post 's content is out of the question?

KD5BVX likes this.
  14. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

No thread-lock yet?

K9GLS likes this.
  15. WW4DX

WW4DX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said....

KE0GXN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.