ad: elecraft

HR2.0 - Operating FT8 in Costa Rica Remotely from Texas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Nov 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ROFL! Just saw you on 20m remote operating!

KC5HWB likes this.
  2. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll be off and on for a while to come. The setup is still working great.

3. WB0RUR

WB0RUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this is really interesting stuff and particularly valuable in advancing the hobby, giving us something to learn about and a new form of the FT8 mode to explore. I've done a little FT8 remote stuff, but mostly just operating the shack (which is upstairs) while I'm outside on the porch enjoying a sunny day. 73 and will look for you on the air!

4. KM4CQG

KM4CQG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Jason

While I have seen you around we have never spoken I do have a question for you.
    I contest as often as my schedule allows and work all Digital Modes extensively.
    What has me perplexed is how you handle this remote setup when it's Thunder storming I ask because there is no fool proof method other then physically disconnecting the antenna. I have even worked out a remote disconnect but have seen lighting arc across connectors with a air gap.

So do you have a way worked out or are you rolling the dice?

Ian
    KM4CQG

KC5HWB likes this.
  5. KC5HWB

We have a lightning arrestor on the coax line and a surge protector on the power cable running to the power supply. We also have a way to remotely turn the radio on and off. But yes, still kinda a crap shoot since we're not there to physically disconnect the setup.

6. K9JN

K9JN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Got TI7/KC5HWB in the log. 11/26/2019 22:14 UTC. Fun stuff

KC5HWB likes this.
  7. KC5HWB

Glad to work you, 73