ad: portazero-1

HR2.0 - Operating FT8 in Costa Rica Remotely from Texas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Nov 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The WSJT-X screen DIDN'T show your call with the "TI7 prefix" before it; am i missing something/wrong ???

Your live outgoing transmission WAS being transmitted from Costa Rica; again forgive me for being dumb/blonde but shouldn't the prefix be present ???? or is this some kind of (for want of another word) "con", subterfuge/oversight or a "mistake" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks BTW for answering my Question r.e. low power mode or not; much appreciated.

73 de G7DAZ (Darren/Daz)

WN1MB likes this.
  2. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gee !!!

I love the Amateur Trolling taking place in this thread!

Shhheesshh ... he is at least doing something!

Why can't Amaters play "nicely" with each other? Why do posts, guided or misguided have to be pounced on?

There are constructive, ethical ways of re-educating Amateurs rather than troll and attack ... And the majority of posts far from demonstrate the ethics of HAM - help all mankind - here !!!

2E0TWD, KC5HWB and K0PIR like this.
  3. G7DAZ

Very true....just some of it "badly" or "incorrectly" or "done-on-purpose-to-deceive"

WN1MB likes this.
  4. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Many years ago I played with a "tracing" program which showed the path of internet connection.
    Often done to add "drama" to movies...
    Since my professional background is in telephony I often wonder why people get impressed with "complicated call routing" so common as soon as telephone operators were replaced by technology.

The only "value" I see in this particular stunt , and IMHO it is a stunt because it really does not tell the whole story during the contact, that IT CAN BE DONE.

Impressive?
    Depending on audience as in "one eye man is a king among blind ".

WN1MB likes this.
  5. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah. I think that, when you were transmitting remotely from Costa Rica, you may have forgotten to enter the grid square of that remote transceiver into FT8. My log doesn't show a Costa Rican grid square.

6. 4J3DJ

4J3DJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been doing this for years (back to the JT65 days) also. Since 2013 I've been making RTTY contacts before I met a JT65 mode. A couple of years after I met a FT8 mode.

All these years I 've been making QSOs remotely except my vacations when I was able to come to my sweet native home to see my mother and work privately.

And yes, I use that call sign where my trasmitter is located. - 4J3DJ

simply TeamViewer software. nothing more.

I live in another country, 1500 km far from my native home. from my radio room which my SK father ( 4J3M) made and passed to me after passing away.
    My mother turns my RIG ON when I ask her to do it.

N2SUB wrote:
    We can start making contacts while standing in line at the grocery store.

YES, exactly. There were moments when I was just walking with my baby daughter while she was sleeping and making QSOs right form the yard pushing baby carriage

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    KC5HWB, KK4HPY and K2NCC like this.
  7. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, my grid square at home is EM12 and my grid square in Costa Rica is EK70. I have it set correctly in the WSJT-X program, but I do admit that once or twice I forgot to change profiles. But the profile configuration inside of WSJT-X has KC5HWB as EM12 and TI7/KC5HWB as EK70

8. KC5HWB

Nothing I do is done on purpose to deceive. So explain what I am doing incorrectly.

9. KC5HWB

Unfortunately this is all too common on QRZ these days. I wish the folks who wanted to complain about everything would go back to Facebook where that sort of thing is expected.

WW2PT and 2E0TWD like this.
  10. G7DAZ

Hi,

the "incorrectly/deceiving" part refers to the missing PREFIX....let me use an example to explain things (or ask an adult/grown up to help you if needed).

Example :- You're an award chaser and your logbook/LOTW/other is missing that illusive-square/IOTA/rare-DX/other etc. etc. and you need lets say for example The Falkland Islands to collect that "award" you've been trying to get for x amount of years.
    You can't make the contact on band XYZ due to poor-propagation/other/bad luck/timing/etc. etc. from Texas but you CAN make the contact from a "closer/better-pathed" REMOTE station.

By making said contact and then "purposefully" omitting the PREFIX of the actual QSO/contact you can then claim said award/other as now your LOTW/logbook/other would show that the Texas station (not the remote staion) has achieved this goal and is thereby eligible for that award/other that has eluded you.

In a nutshell by omitting the appropriate PREFIX you can get the kudos/award/ego-boost/other by falsley claiming that the Texas station has achieved something it actually hasn't/doesn't deserve.

Again the above is just an EXAMPLE (not a statement of fact) of how one could manipulate things by the simple omission of a prefix.

My point is that if a station is gonna TRANSMIT remotely then IMO they should include the prefix to avoid any "misunderstandings/false-claims-of-rare-DX/other"

I agree on the Facecrook BTW; horrible thing as is the rest of "social-media" .....don't/nor ever have done it. Wife loves it; each to their own i guess.

K2NCC, KD0NPT and WN1MB like this.
  11. KC5HWB

I would like to keep it civil here, but statements like this are why I don't post here on QRZ much. The statement you made is more childish than anything else that has been said in this thread.

Yes you certainly could do this. I don't see what this has to do with my video though, which is the subject of this thread, and isn't what I show to be doing in the video. So if you want to rant about speculations of "bad things" that could happen elsewhere in the world, perhaps you could start a thread of your own.

4J3DJ likes this.
  12. G7DAZ

True...and for which i apologise....twas a kneejerk reaction to what i see as tit-for-tat...again please accept my apologies.

Again more of a rant due to the more frequent use of "remote" stations not quite stating the "whole-picture"...IMO some stations ARE abusing the prefix omission for whatever reasons they alone only know; ergo my example....i can only speculate as to why they chose to omit the prefix.

I have only pointed out something that i could clearly see on a screen and perhaps tarred you unfairly with the same brush as others that omit their prefix; for which i apologise. Remote prefix omission does however happen and it is IMO not quite playing "ball".
    I'm a "rules" chap per-se and what applies to me should also IMO apply to others.

Once again please accept my apologies, no offense was meant.

13. KC5HWB

Understood, sir. No problem at all. We all make mistakes. 73 and good DX.

14. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure you're not trying to deceive anyone. I just may have missed the chance to get a rare grid square in my log. I will try again!

KC5HWB likes this.
  15. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like Amaters, Tmaters have their issues as well. Look what happened one one spoke out of turn. (May not be appropriate for all audiences)

[​IMG]